I have an old p4 prebuilt and it is running so slow that even doing casual surfing is difficult. The system comes with:
intel p4 1.8ghz
256mb pc2100 ddr 266
Asus P4S-LA motherboard sis 650 chipset
onboard shared 32mb vram
40gb hdd ide 7200rpm > just upgraded to 80gb hdd
200W matx power supply
windows xp home edition
HP Customer Care local language selection*
I have a few questions to clarify prior to upgrading. At the same times also wanted to check compatibilty before purchasing the parts for upgrade.
1. On the specifications link, it shows that the Asus P4S-LA supports PC2100 ram which is what the BIOS is showing too. But why does the sticker label on the ram shows PC2100 133 instead of 266? I am confused whether could it using the PC 133 instead?
2. The motherboard has 2 dimm memory sockets up to max 2gb. Is it advisable to buy all the way straight 1gb or 256mb or 512mb to see a noticable performance gain?
3. Would the Asus P4S-LA supports the Sapphire 9550 AGP graphic card? It is 4x and the card is 8x?http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/produ...?gpid=56&grp=2
What is the Ultra AGP 2 that is stated under HP Customer Care local language selection*
Is it the same as AGP?
4. How does the Sapphire 9550 against the nvidia FX5200?
5. Is there a neccesity to upgrade the power supply too? Can the power supply take the load?
Lastly, are there any bottlenecks?