Need help upgrading cpu and maybe motherboard

brandon17

Baseband Member
I want to gain some speed by upgrading my cpu and probably my motherboard at the same time. I also want to reduce noise from my system with aftermarket fans, whats some good brands?
Current system
Manufacturer-Cyberpower
Processor-AMD Athlon(tm)II x4 630 2.80 GHz
Graphics Card-Radeon HD 7850 1GB 256-bit
Motherboard-msi k9n6pgm2-v2(MS-7309)
RAM-Two-DDR2-800u 2gb
Power supply-Dynex 520w ATX
operating system-windows 7 64-bit

Your board supports all the way up to the Phenom 2 X6 with the latest bios, anything further than that requires a new board and RAM. If you go that far, might as well do it proper.

Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans make great case fans especially on a controller.

Your board supports all the way up to the Phenom 2 X6 with the latest bios, anything further than that requires a new board and RAM. If you go that far, might as well do it proper.

Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans make great case fans especially on a controller.

which would you recommend with a budget around $200?

I would recommend upgrading the RAM.

You already have a quad core processor. Windows cannot essentially utilize more processors efficiently. You could buy a bad ass air cooler and OC it.

I am not an overclocker. Someone might be able to recommend a better motherboard.

Last edited:
which would you recommend with a budget around $200?
I recommend keeping what you have for a little longer and save up another 100 to get a Haswell quad, B85 board, and 8GB of DDR3 honestly. Putting money in that setup would be pretty much a waste of money as mentioned below it's a quad. The only viable upgrade option would be the Phenom 2 965 but that's kind of a waste of cash.

I would recommend upgrading the RAM.

You already have a quad core processor. Windows cannot essentially utilize more processors efficiently. You could buy a bad ass air cooler and OC it.

I am not an overclocker. Someone might be able to recommend a better motherboard.
Although it is a quad, it's a relatively weak one. OCing won't grant much of an advantage because the cost outweighs the benefit. He already has 200 bucks, an extra benj would grant a Haswell setup. Literally double or triple the potential performance depending on which CPU.

Windows can utilize as many cores as you throw at it, it's program support that is dependant. Although games can barely utilize over 2 cores now, the next gen consoles will change the game in about 2 years.

I recommend keeping what you have for a little longer and save up another 100 to get a Haswell quad, B85 board, and 8GB of DDR3 honestly. Putting money in that setup would be pretty much a waste of money as mentioned below it's a quad. The only viable upgrade option would be the Phenom 2 965 but that's kind of a waste of cash.

Although it is a quad, it's a relatively weak one. OCing won't grant much of an advantage because the cost outweighs the benefit. He already has 200 bucks, an extra benj would grant a Haswell setup. Literally double or triple the potential performance depending on which CPU.

Windows can utilize as many cores as you throw at it, it's program support that is dependant. Although games can barely utilize over 2 cores now, the next gen consoles will change the game in about 2 years.
Which would be the best combo for around 300-350ish. I found like three different haswells and a couple benjs? Also would i need to upgrade my psu?

Last edited:
Extra benj, benjamin, 100 dollar bill lol.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-4430 Haswell 3.0GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54430
Newegg.com - MSI B85M-P33 LGA 1150 Intel B85 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Entry DVI Business Intel Motherboard
Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory with heatshield Model PSD38G1600KH - Newegg.com

Like I said, extra benj :)

Wattage wise, technically no you don't have to upgrade the PSU. Do I think you should? Yes, as soon as you can. To something quality. 520w is fine, but something like the Seasonic 520 would ensure no weird voltage problems or possible PSU death under strain. Which btw could happen on either rig.

Extra benj, benjamin, 100 dollar bill lol.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-4430 Haswell 3.0GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54430
Newegg.com - MSI B85M-P33 LGA 1150 Intel B85 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Entry DVI Business Intel Motherboard
Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory with heatshield Model PSD38G1600KH - Newegg.com

Like I said, extra benj :)

Wattage wise, technically no you don't have to upgrade the PSU. Do I think you should? Yes, as soon as you can. To something quality. 520w is fine, but something like the Seasonic 520 would ensure no weird voltage problems or possible PSU death under strain. Which btw could happen on either rig.
That makes sense now lol. Im pretty sure my psu is whats making most of the noise right now. Would it just be better to save up around 500-600 and build a new system, besides the gpu?

Well, all you need to do is add 69 or 89 to what's there. Just remember, prices fluctuate a lot so could be different by the time you have the money.

You could buy my spare computer for $300.
AMD Phenom II x4 965
ASUS M5A78L-M LX Motherboard
8GB DDR3-1600
500GB 7200RPM HDD Western Digital Blue
Cooler Master M600 Silent Pro PSU

I'm pretty much done with it.

Back
Top Bottom