Need help with RAM upgrade and compatibility with motherboard!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawan AbuSalman

Daemon Poster
Hi...

My friend needs a new video card but it turend out his mother board doesnt have neither agp nor pci express!!so he will have to change thoe whole mother board...and consequently the cpu too!

Now i am gettign him a new motheroard for his bday...(and maybe a video card too)

I told him to download CPU-Z and send me the log...

I have a motherboard in mind...but i dont want to get it and make him change everything he already have!! The first thing i though about was the ram...

the mother board i want to get him (most probably) is:

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d945plrn/index.htm

and the motherboard he has is:

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d845gvsr/index.htm

Now i dont understand a couple of things....

First....the cpuz report says he has w dimms...
# of memory modules 2
Module 0 SpecTek Incorporated DDR PC2700 - 256 MBytes
Module 1 Nanya Technology DDR PC3200 - 512 MBytes

but on the intel website....in the description of the motherboard...they say supports 333/266/200 mhz....but pc 3200 is 400 mhz...right?

Another thing...it says 184 pin sockets...but on the 1 i want to get him it says 240 pin!

(im gona attach the CPUZ log.....what i need to know is if i get him that motherboard...will he have to get new RAMS?? (or anything else for that matter....he already has and is not compatible with the new board...)

Thanx alot....

Attachments

• cpu.zip
    16 KB · Views: 0
Yes you will have to get DDR2 (240-pin) if you get him that motherboard.

thanx for your reply...

So the RAMs that he has (both of them) cannot be put in the new board??

I doubt....but just in case...are there any new (relatively speaking) boards that support the RAM that he has??

(What exactly is the difference between them btw?the DDR and DDR2....the 184 and 240 pins...)

Thanx again...

DDR2 has higher clock speeds then DDR, so it's bascially faster. There are mobos though that support the ram he has, which have AGP slots too. But if you're upgrading you might as well go to DDR2 and PCI-express slots.

Well they are of use if you get a socket 478 mobo, but I'm saying go with DDR2 and PCI-express, because they are newer. DDR and AGP is very old.

Well they are of use if you get a socket 478 mobo, but I'm saying go with DDR2 and PCI-express, because they are newer. DDR and AGP is very old.
[/qoute]

Thanx.....I think im gona go with this... (if i collect enough $!! Lolz!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom