Need Help Purchasing new Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcoD90

Solid State Member
Hey everyone,
I'm looking to upgrade my 300W power supply to AT LEAST a 350W because of this video card I am purchasing.

will I be fine using the video card with my 300W power supply? or do i really NEED to upgrade it??

I have a Compaq SR5050NX and i'm not sure which power supply to purchase. I know it needs to be a MicroATX, but thats all the Support guy would tell me since i'm not buying it from Compaq directly. Also he said the dimensions are 9.6in X 9.6in...Does the power supply NEED to be those exact measurements?

Okay heres 2 power supplies i've been looking at, are they good and compatible? or no? and If not, can you show me one that is compatible??

Ultra X4 400-Watt Modular Power Supply - 98mm Fan, MicroATX, Lifetime Warranty. at TigerDirect.com

Newegg.com - Athena Power AP-MPS3ATX40 400W ATX12V MicroATX PS3 v 2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready DELL, HP Upgrades/Replacement Power Supply - Power Supplies

Thanks in Advance!

micro-atx is the size of the case. also that (depending on the case) it can support motherboards of a micro-atx form factor or smaller.

but your pc should still be able to use a regular sized atx power supply.

what vid card are you going to buy?

Oh nice, whats with that PCI Express 2.0??
Is that something new? I'm not sure if it'll fit into my comp. Unless its the same as the other PCI express slots

Oh awesome, Thanks man, you really helped out a lot. I'll be looking to buy that vid card.

while the card i showed you is better for the price than what you were first looking at, it's still not really a gaming card.

could you stretch for atleast something like this?
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR VA4652NH51-B Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

although i'm not completely sure that it would run on the 300w, so this is lower cost psu that you could upgrade to.
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-460-PMSR-A3 460W ATX12V V2.3 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Well Honestly, the only reason i'm getting a better vid card is to play WoW. I can run it now with everything on low settings, but I just want to improve it a little bit and I want it to run better. I'm not too big into games so I don't really need a good card, and I have my xbox 360 just in case I want to play any newer games. Thanks though, I really do appreciate it. I'll be back on these forums if I need anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom