Need help with Power Supply replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

NurseTech

Solid State Member
Hi Everyone

A problem with power supply prompted me to search out a forum to get help from people who are more knowledgeable than me.

I have a 6 year old Gateway computer that I'm trying to find a new power supply for. The specific part that I currently have is no longer being manufactured and I haven't been able to figure out which power supply will be compatible and fit my case without (hopefully) any modification.

The old power supply is for an ATX mid-size tower, the type that is held in place by a plastic clip. It's an Astec, 250W, 3.3 volt supply, p/n 6500470. Someone on ebay claims to have the exact part, brand new, but I'm skittish about purchasing something like this on ebay, plus he wants $65 for it. I've also been looking for a replacement on newegg but I can't tell which one might fit without any modification. BTW...Gateway has been no help with this since the computer is out of warranty and the power supply is not a big ticket item for them to sell.

Can anyone please tell me which power supply will work with my computer?

Thanks!

Michele

I'm more concerned with getting a compatible part than I am the cost.

I'm not an expert, but I don't think I can use a power supply that has an extra 4 pin connector. Mine only has the 20 pin connector, so I appreciate the suggestion but I don't think your power supply will work with my computer. Anyone please feel free to correct my assumption if it is wrong.

Michele

It says 20+4 pin, so you can either have it 20 or 24. I'm using 20 pin, just leave the extra 4-pin to the side.

See...I learned something today. :)

Do you think this will fit my case without having to drill holes for screws to mount it?

Michele

Sine you said your old PSU is for an ATX Mid-Tower, yes it will fit...as I have a mid-tower too and it fits in nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom