Need help on new Motherboard determination! Chipsets? What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UAHGorgix

Baseband Member
Hello!

So I need a larger case to accommodate larger items I am putting into my my current case. I also need to upgrade my processor which means a new motherboard; and possibly some new RAM.

Current Case:
http://support.gateway.com/s/CASES/3507194R/3507194Rnv.shtml

Desired Case:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 922 BLUE RC-922M-KWN2-GP Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Side window

I have the following in my current case that I wish to keep in the upgrading process:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 (DDR3 RAM)
Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Gamer
Seagate Barracuda 1TB Internal HDD
700 Watt Power Supply
RAM: 3.07GB DDR2 SDRAM (4 Sicks Total)
16X Super MFDVDRW/DVD-RAM+/-R Double Layer (Optical Drive)
I wish to upgrade the following:

Intel 975x Chipset with DDR2 RAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (2.4 GHz, 8MB Cache)

Now I was talking with my father and he says it is important to make sure that the chipset is compatible with all the items I want to keep. I am unsure of how to check this. I don't want to rebuild an entire computer and pay full price; just buy the case, motherboard, and processor; move the parts from one case to another and save any cables I can; finish.

Any help? Was thinking maybe this combo for the upgrade: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

What are the steps I should take to complete this task?

Well, you'd need DDR3 system RAM, first of all. What model is that PSU? You will need a new license of Windows, too.

Why do I need a new Windows license? Windows goes to the OS and will recognize the upgrades. Im not buying a new OS which is in the HDD and not the Mobo.

I don't know the model of the power supply. Computer was pre-assembled and I made modifications.

You can not simply move Windows from one system to another. Your license is held to the very motherboard you installed it on. Also, Windows will get all confused, with all the new hardware. You can't simply "upgrade".

Open up your case and look at the sticker on the PSU. It's probably some off-brand.

I dont feel like pulling it out of the shelf right now. But I have a question:

Once I installed the new CPU/Mobo/RAM I can turn on my computer, and login right? I was doing some more research on it and from what I have found is you cannot reactivate it online, you must call Microsoft and they will give you a reactivation key.

Here is where I got that tad bit of information from:

When i upgrade my motherboard and cpu will i need to call microsoft - Windows 7 Forums

Apparently you are able to access your computer but it will ask for a reactivation, in which case you just call Microsoft.

You cannot move an OS to a new system, no matter the license. All your devices on your board are now different. Every driver is now different.

If your Windows is OEM, you cannot move it to a different board. It is illegal to do so.

OEM copies of Windows live and die with the mother board that they come with. The hard drive that they are installed on means nothing. If that was the case, then when you bought Windows it would come preinstalled on a hard drive and not just a disk that you could use to install it to a system. You are confused on how the license of Windows seems to operate.

You are buying a new PC in the eyes of Microsoft. Replacing the mother board is equal to a new PC. Therefor you will have to purchase a new license of Windows. If you tell Microsoft when you call them that you replaced all the parts but the hard drive and that you want Windows reactivated, they will tell you that it can't be reactivated and that you need to purchase a new copy of Windows.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/differences-between-oem-retail-171393/#post1349335

Now let me make this clear. 1 Serial = 1 PC.

As stated directly from Microsoft in the End User License Agreement that you agreed to follow when you installed your copy of Windows:

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.a. One Copy per Computer. The software license is permanently assigned to the computer with which the software is distributed. That computer is the “licensed computer.”
b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.

So as you can see, using a copy of Windows from another machine is in direct Violation of the terms of use and illegal. You can't do it and must purchase a new one. You must add that into your costs. Sorry but that is how software licensing works. Microsoft owns the software and the license, we just rent it.

I am not using OEM though. The motherboard I am using was installed by gateway and came with Windows Vista. I bought Windows 7 Retail, not an upgrade. Unless the Student Pro Edition of Windows 7 was an upgrade, then im SOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom