Need help on my computer build (gaming)

Status
Not open for further replies.

3r1c

Baseband Member
Hi, this is my first build and my first post on this forum. Currently my setup is...

Budget - 1.5 grand
-Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz

- ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard (suggestions)

- CPU Cooler http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835103001 (suggestions)

Alright I haven't decided on which case I'm getting but that won't be a problem. I need help choosing a proper RAM, power supply, and a decent video card (BF2, ect)

Thanks

Just looking at the reviews of that cooler, looked like there was a bunch of reviews where they had issues with the 975x chipset heatsinks getting in the way of the cooler. Personally, the only aftermarket cooler i have used is the Shuttle ICE unit that came with the barebones chassis.... Other than that I have used only stock cooling. I hear good things about Zalman coolers, and would recommend them, as most of the reviews involving overclocking of CPU with air cooling use Zalman units.

You are on the right track with the CPU you picked, as the 2 lowest ones (6300 & 6400) are said to be VERY overclockable, and more bang for your buck.

For RAM, my personal preference is Corsair or Mushkin (although the high ene Mushkin is out of my price league), and I am using DDR XMS matched 1 Gig sticks currently. (you would need DDR2).

If your budget allows, I would go for an Nvidia 8600 or 8800 series cards, as they are simply spectacular in the reviews I have read.

Don't skimp on a power supply. You will hate yourself if you have something happen to the internals because you picked a crap PSU to save a couple bucks.

HERE are some good articles on cooling & PSU's, but some are a bit aged...

Good luck with your build!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom