Need Help, Modifying a Compaq Evo

Status
Not open for further replies.

J3werks

Beta member
I am looking to modify a computer i currently recieved. I am new to all this computer stuff, i know some, but not much. It is a newer Compaq Evo with xp, looking to upgrade it for doing designing and working with photoshop and adobe programs. I want to hook it up to my 32in 720p. Panasonic tv with a hdmi cable. The computer has a blown power supply, so i really don't know what it has. Intel celeron processor, 512mb ram, the rest is unknown. I am trying to do this for about $200. I need some help making choices on what to get.

So far i looked at this motherboard Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS M3A78 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

or this one

Newegg.com - XFX MG63Mi7159 LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7150 / nForce 630i HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

but idk if i have to get a processor still, or what kind.(AMD or Intel, which is better)

Your case will only hold a mATX board. A new mobo will not use the CPU you current have (if your Evo is as old as the Evo's I know of). Here's a setup that would work for you.

Newegg.com - ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

$177 w/free shipping on the CPU.

You can use Sysprep to set up your hard drive to swap to the new hardware without having to reinstall everything.

Thanks.

Would it possibly be easier to buy a new graphics card and get more RAM.( possibly a new processor?)

I am going by the evo line I know, which were socket A machines.

If yours is like those, you have a crap power supply (200W at the most) and DDR RAM. DDR is dead and no modern motherboard can use it. Even a low-end graphics card will require more juice than what you have.

The setup I posted will use the onboard graphics and some of the system RAM, but the chip is a HD 3200 graphics chip. That's not shabby at all for onboard. Vern (one of the mods here) used it for quite a while and even gamed with it. the motherboard has built-in HDMI and so can hook up to your TV without anything additional.

A discreet graphics card would be better, but you would have to buy both it and the PSU to power it all. It won't fit into a $200 budget.

If you mean RAM to fit the Evo's board, that is doable.
Newegg.com - WINTEC 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
(If your system can handle 2GB of RAM... some can only handle 1GB or 512MB)

I cannot find an AGP card with HDMI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom