Need help for a memory upgrade...no, not for me, for my computer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pengyou

Baseband Member
I was just given an old 386sx 16 notebook computer. I was originally going to dust it off and mount it as a decoration in my study...but when I was playing with it discovered that the keyboard is really, really excellent. I am looking at linux distros but they all really strongly prefer 4 mb or more and this only has 2 mb. Can anyone tell me of a way to determine what kind of memory is needed for this? Also suggest a place to buy that kind of memory? I know I need to find out the maximum amount of memory it will use...it is a generic brand so once I find a source I am going to have to take the notebook into the place that sells memory and have them try a few things.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

T

The only thing you will satisfactorily run on that old thing is DOS and maybe Windows 3.1

You can load linux with 4 meg (some distro's) but to have any kind of usable graphical interface, as I am sure you'll want, will require a lot more RAM and horsepower.

DOS for you.

Yes, thanks! I know the limitations of that machine...I am not really interested in a gui. I don't like guis...I hate windows 3.1....I loated 95...98 was almost neutral once you removed IE from it...and when XP came out I began to think of very slow methods of torture for the the creators...I love DOS. I don't like computers making decisions for me. I like the satisfaction of typing a command and knowing that the computer was doing what I told it to do. If I could just convince all of the other folks in my office that are living in denial of this I would be fine but they speak in Windows. If I could find a DOS word processor and spreadsheet that would create files that are readable by Word and Excel I would stay with DOS. Do you know of any that will do this? I believe that this is easier to do with Linux, which is why I have begun my research in Linux.

Now....if I could just get my hands on a copy of WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS...I could be a happy camper...but would still have to find a way to communicate with the world. A copy of Symphony would really be wonderful also....I think Lotus Symphony was one of the greatest programs ever designed, next to wp 5.1 Then I could get a copy of Pegasus e-mail for DOS and be a happy camper...

...actually, has anyone ever heard of Volkswriter? That was a really cool, simple but powerful word processor that came in at the end of WordStar and while WP 4.0 was getting started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom