need help with memory timings - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default need help with memory timings

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...220-037&depa=1 I have this set of memory, what are all the memory timing numbers? can somone explain what exactly the numbers are, cas ro dram timing etc, in the standard order.

as I think my bios isn't in standard order.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/show...&threadid=3393

Scroll down about half-way until you see "DRAM Timings" in big black letters.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

this site doesn't help much, helps on a few thing but it doesn't specify

**RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD)**= 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. I would suggest only using 2-5. Added Note: This is the second timing that most ram companies rate there ram with. For example, you might see ram rated at 3-4-4-8@275mhz. this is the 4, in than situation.
2 yields the best performance, and 4-5 (5 is usually overkill) yields the best over clock. Most rams will not be able to use 2, and reach their max OC.
Large Influence on Bandwidth/ Stability.

**Row Precharge timing (tRP)**= 0,1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. I would suggest using only 2-5.
Added Note: This is the third timing that most ram companies rate there ram with. For example, you might see ram rated at 3-4-4-8 @275mhz. this is the 4, in that situation.
2 yields the best performance, and 4-5(5 is usually overkill) yields the best over clock. Most ram will not be able to use 2, and reach there max OC.
Large Influence on Bandwidth/Stability.

very helpful :/ *sarcasm* Anyone want to indicate WHICH 4 each of one is?! please :/
Old 11-06-2005, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

sorry about that last reply, just stressed :/. ^^:
Old 11-07-2005, 01:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

I'll highlight the important stuff in bold for you..

Quote:
*Cas Latency Control (tCL)**= 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5. I would suggest only using, 2, 2.5, and 3.
Added Note: This is the first timing that most ram companies rate their ram with. For example, you might see ram rated at 3-4-4-8 @275mhz. this is the 3, in than situation.
2 yields the best performance, but, unless you have either Winbond BH-5, or BH-6, it is unlikely you will be able to reach you maximum over clock at CAS2. CAS3 is usually yields the best stability/over clock.

PLEASE NOTE; IF YOU HAVE WB-BH-5/6, YOU MOST LIKELY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE CAS3, AND SOME MAY NOT BE ABLE TO USE CAS2.5, MY BH-6 WILL NOT POST AT CAS2.5, OR CAS3, IT WILL ONLY POST AT CAS2.
Slight Influence on Bandwidth / Large Influence on Stability.

**RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD)**= 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. I would suggest only using 2-5. Added Note: This is the second timing that most ram companies rate there ram with. For example, you might see ram rated at 3-4-4-8@275mhz. this is the 4, in than situation.
2 yields the best performance, and 4-5 (5 is usually overkill) yields the best over clock. Most rams will not be able to use 2, and reach their max OC.
Large Influence on Bandwidth/ Stability.

*Min RAS# active timing (tRAS)*= 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. I would suggest only 00, and 5-10.
Added Note: This is the fourth timing that most ram companies rate there ram with. For example, you might see ram rated at 3-4-4-8 @275mhz. this is the 8, in that situation.
This is a much debated timing. Some may argue that 00, 05, or 10 is the faster/most stable. But I really think there isn’t a right answer for this one, it all depends on your ram. But, if you need a good starting point, usually most/all ram can achieve their max OC on 10 tRAS, even if one of the other settings is faster.
Slight Influence on Bandwidth/Stability.

**Row Precharge timing (tRP)**= 0,1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. I would suggest using only 2-5.
Added Note: This is the third timing that most ram companies rate there ram with. For example, you might see ram rated at 3-4-4-8 @275mhz. this is the 4, in that situation.
2 yields the best performance, and 4-5(5 is usually overkill) yields the best over clock. Most ram will not be able to use 2, and reach there max OC.
Large Influence on Bandwidth/Stability.
Here's a picture taken from a sticky thread in the overclocking forum:

If this isn't what you're looking for, I give up, because I'm obviously not understanding you.
Closed Thread