Need Help!? Which Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtwill040

Baseband Member
Ok, i would like to get an acer.

the choice is Aspire 3692 which has a 15.1" screen, 256mb ram and XP Pro, cdrw/dvd combo drive, Celeron M 420 1.6 GHz .

Aspire 5051 which has a 14.1" screen, vista basic and 512mb ram, dvd rw, AMD Turion 64 2Ghz.

Both have 60GB drives. Now i don't really care about if it has vista or not. They are both wireless.

Aspire 3692 Product page at misco: http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=262510&

Aspire 5051 Product Page at Ebuyer: http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/123115?gclid=CPLXy-He4YoCFTwHQgodfQ6X2A

I will continue to burn dvd's on my pc as thats what it was built for aswel as games/music etc.

Which one to get and why (although 'why' is not required).

Its just basically for work ( I progamme ( web-development PHP) ).

Thanks in advance hoping to order in the next couple of hours.

Aspire 5051 which has a 14.1" screen, vista basic and 512mb ram, dvd rw, AMD Turion 64 2Ghz. Hands down. You can always upgrade the ram and hard drive later but this system will kick the crap out of a Celeron.

Cancelled that order and opted for the Acer Aspire 3692 with 1GB Ram, 80GB Hdd, dvd writer, 15.4" wide screen and celeron processor @ 1.6Hz, 533MHz 1m L2 cache

Hello,

Coincidentally, I bought the Acer 5051AWXMi last month, from ebuyer.com. But the one with Windows MCE 2005 and without the crystalbrite screen.

The Acer Aspire 5051AWXMi has good performance. Light and small. The battery life is okay, but not outstanding, at 2 hours 30 mins max. With wireless on and with the screen a little brighter, it lasts around 2 hours 15 mins.

But some annoyances. Although the fan on the laptop turns off when it isn't needed, it comes on average every 40 seconds or so (even during idle, and when the CPU has throttled down) and it's a loud fan too. During lesson when I college, it's clearly audible. A lot of comments and reviews left on eBuyer describe it as being 'quiet' but it certainly didn't meet my definition of quiet.

Also, when you flip the screen, it's not rigid, meaning it flexes and warps the LCD TFT display slightly. In addition, despite the manufacturer's PDF manual stating that a higher capacity battery was available, there's hardly anywhere that cells spare batteries for the Aspire 5051AWMi, of the same or greater capacity.

Unfortunately, the tray of the DVD-RW drive would not eject, and I had to return it to eBuyer. They gave me a refund, and I bought a different laptop instead. I now have an HP NX7300 notebook (the Celeron M 430 variant), with Vista Business Edition. I'm much happier now. Quieter, better build, longer battery life (3 hours 45 mins max on an 8-cell 4800mAh battery), even with a Celeron M 430. Also, batteries are also easier to buy.

To be honest, I would have suggested to get another brand notebook. But still, they aren't bad. As for a decision between the two, I actually would have chose the Acer Aspire 3692 over the 5051AWXMi because, although it's not as powerful as the Turion 64, it run's cooler and therefore should run quieter (which is something I find more important). One attributing factor to this is because it's a 15.4" notebook, and compared to the 5051AWXMi with a 14.1" screen, means there's more room for a more effective cooling solution. But if performance is a must have, then I would have suggested the 5051AWXMi.

Actually, wouldn't the Celeron M run hotter due to it being an older and crappier processor compared to the Athlon 64?

Actually, wouldn't the Celeron M run hotter due to it being an older and crappier processor compared to the Athlon 64?

Hello,

No. The Athlon 64 is a desktop processor, which is not a mobile processor.

The Celeron M 400 series is based on the Pentium M microarchitecture, but a variant of the Intel Core Solo Mobile Yonah 1024 core. The only significant difference between the Celeron M 400 series and an Intel Core Solo Mobile processor is that fact that it doesn't have enhanced speedstep technology. Despite this, it can throttle if there's motherboard support. If you compare the AMD Athlon 64 to a Celeron M 400, the celeron M 400 has a lower thermal design power and lower voltage.

Compared to AMD Turion processors however, since they are mobile performance processors, they are superior than Celeron M processors.

Glad you went with the "Aspire 3692 which has a 15.1" screen, 256mb ram and XP Pro, cdrw/dvd combo drive, Celeron M 420 1.6 GHz ." -- the benefits, in my opinion, of this setup are the wider screen, XP, and Celeron. In my experience, Intel processors are less likely to overheat than AMDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom