need help on how i can change video card from integrated to normal..

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunami

Solid State Member
I have the (stupid) mobile intel 945gm and i believe that is what is preventing me from playing half-life 2 well because it works perfectly with high textures when i am indoors in the game and then when i go outside it slows down to 3 fps because of helicopters, etc.

my specs:
1.6ghz celeron m 420
1 gb ram
mobile 945gm graphics card

everything is above the requirements for HL2 (cpu min is 1.2ghz) but for some reason it slows down A LOT and i think it is the video card. Can anyone tell me how I can switch to a normal(unintegrated) video card or if thats even possible? Any help is appreciated.

Price range: below $80

edit: i forgot that i made another thread about this before but please post in this one

Is it a laptop? If it is, 99.9% of the time, it is impossible.

If not, check if you have AGP or PCI-Express on your motherboard.

Well, part of the problem is that you are using a CELERON processor.... I could be wrong, but I don't think that a Celeron @ 1.6 Ghz has the same performance than a Pentium has at 1.2 Ghz, but again, I COULD be wrong...

Secondly, if you are using a laptop, please post the make and model of it. Is there a SPECIFIC port for video card expansion on this model??

im using Acer Aspire 3690 and the motherboard is an Acer Grapevine. im not sure how to find out if there is a "specific port for video card expansion"

Yeah, even if you upgraded the graphics, you probably won't get too much more performance with that celeron. But anyways, I don't know much about upgrading graphics on laptops but don't get your hopes up as like I said, it is impossible most of the time.

One thing you can do if you have an Express Card slot is to get an Asus XG Station although they aren't out yet and they'll probably be very expensive for a while.

since its integrated and it has to extract power from the cpu than maybe there is a chance I can get the game to play w/ a better processor...maybe a core duo...?

support: mPGA-479m

I doubt that you can upgrade your processor without buying a whole new system and the integrated graphics would still suck it up though.

dang that sucks what a waste of money(the craptop and the game...)
o well thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom