Not open for further replies.

nburger

Solid State Member
Currently this is what I have:

Video card- ATI Raedon HD3200
Ram- 4G DDR2 dual channel
Processor- AMD Phenom 9100e Quad core
Monitor- 32" HD LCD TV 720p

I will be running of windows7 as of tonight. I do some gaming on WOW, and have noticed that I should upgrade my video card (possibly ram also). My comp is only 1 year old, but it was bought from best buy, not a custom build. I want to pick a good quality video card, with HD capability for $200-$300. Also, should I think about upgrading RAM, or will I be fire with Windows7 and new video card?

What is the make and model of your computer? I ask so we can look it up and see what wattage power supply you have. but, with a $300 budget, you can replace both PSU and your graphics. 4GB is a good amount of RAM and should be plenty for you.

Newegg.com - BFG Tech GS-550 550W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.8 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Power Supplies
$40

Newegg.com - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
$175 w/free shipping

Those will wipe the floor with WoW, and will play any game out there without a problem. Plus, the 5xxx series are DX11, which is the Win7 version. ;)

Here are the specs for my computer. It is a gateway GT5694

????????????????

I have tentatively picked this for a video card:

VisionTek - ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card - 900286

I need help finding a power supply, and what do you think of my option for a video card? I dont want to throw a ton of money in this computer because I am going to have one build in the next 6 months or so, this is just to get me by because I went all crazy and got a bigger monitor.

If you are going to build a rig in six months there's no need to go nuts now with a huge card. I don't know if you chose WorstBuy for price or convenience, but VisionTek is not a name known for durability.

Why not go for a mid-range card for a fill-in for now? for less than that card you can get these:
Newegg.com - XFX HD-467X-DDF2 Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
$75

Newegg.com - BFG Tech GS-550 550W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.8 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Power Supplies
$40

And be in decent shape for the next six months. The 4670 outperforms my 3850, and I have no problems with games.

Take what you save and put it toward your new build fund. ;)

if i were you, i would get a really nice card and just carry it over to your next build. a 5850 if you can afford it, or a 5770 like in trotter's previous post

I know this is a noob question, but what is the difference between 2.0 x 16 cards and just plain x 16 cards. will my computer be ok with either?

Thanks for all the help:silly:

Also, need a suggested RAM upgrade.
currently using- 4096 MB DDR2, 667 MHz, (PC2-5300) dual channel memory (two 2048 MB modules) expandable to 8

PCI-E x16 2.0 is the standard for cards now, but is backwards compatible with regular x16 1.0, it will work with your motherboard no problem.

Do you really need more RAM? 4GB is a fair amount really, unless you are using design intense programs or running multiple VM's at a time.

Didn't really know if I needed it or not. Thaks for all the advice. I think I will be upgrading today :big_smile: Cant wait to put the new Monitor to the test!!!

A mid-range card for now, or a more powerful card to reuse, are both good ideas.

If you plan on selling your current rig when you build your new one, go with the mid-range card.

If you plan on recycling parts into your new build, go for the more powerful.

Since the current system works fine as is, I would say pop in a PSU and GPU that will carry over to your next build and when you go to build the big system in a few months just carry it over and pop the stuff back into the old system and so you're good in that sense. That'd be my recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom