Need help to decide which is best

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbydrew

Solid State Member
Looking at a new motherboard, processor and memory bundle with a budget of about £120. Have seen two at this price mark but was just wondering if anyone knows of any better deals. I want the system for general internet browsing and occasional gaming. I have a nvidia 9800gt silent cell to add to the package to help boost the performance.

first option is :Biostar N68S3 motherboard with AMD Dual Core 260 3.2Ghz CPU and 4GB Ultra Fast DDR3 1333Mhz RAM

second is :Biostar G41D3 motherboard with Intel Pentium Dual Core E5500 2.7Ghz CPU and 4GB Ultra Fast DDR3 1333Mhz RAM.

If I can boost my budget to £140 there is a third option of :Biostar G41D3 motherboard with Intel Pentium Dual Core E6600 3.06Ghz CPU and 4GB Ultra Fast DDR3 1333Mhz RAM.

I understand these are all budget range, but I have very little funds and I believe either of these will be an inprovement on my current amd sempron 64 4200+ ecs 6100-m2 motherboard and 2gb ddr2 533 ram. Also IDE is a must as I have a sata drive and an old IDE for backup storage.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Just thinking getting the ddr3 would keep it upto date a little while longer. The bundles seem reasonable value. It also comes ready setup, just install into my case.

Do yourself a favor, do not buy a 775 mobo. As youre limited in your funds get an AMD am3 capiable board. Even if your cpu is not the best, having a good modern mobo will allow you to upgrade in the future

Well, ebuyer has this AMD Athlon 630 Bundle Deal Including Athlon II X4 630.. | Ebuyer.com but its an older am3 board, a 760 chipset, but its solid for 130 with vat. it has a x4 630.

or a better board:

MSI 880GM-E41 880G Socket AM3 onboard graphics 8.. | Ebuyer.com MSI 880G Mobo
AMD Athlon X2 245 2.9GHZ Socket AM3 2MB Cache Retail.. | Ebuyer.com X2 245 @ 2.9Ghz
Crucial 2GB DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10600 Memory CL9 1.5V | Ebuyer.com 2Gig Crucial ram
For 123 including vat

The bundles state, fully tested and assembled. Just intall and as im not upto setting up a system would save me the hassle. If I get a quad it will be very low, wouldnt a better dual be more benificial to what I will use it for?

Sounds has no relation to the actual cpu. The sound comes from the fans and how fast they turn.

Quads are good for longevity, as they can run more at a time... 4 cores to wolrk instead of 2 or 3.

The parts i spec'd have a dual core... My only issue with the bundles is the crap motherboard.

The cheaper quads have a lower cache, which I was lead to believe would mean a decent dual will out perform. I don't use many multicore applications to benefit from it.

Honestly, i spec'd the 245 x2 for a great build.... The benifit of a quad is multi tasking. Though it has lower cache, 4 512k vs the 2 1Mb of the x2 245, having the free cpu speeds things up.

I wouldn't go for the bundle i found personally, The parts I put together has a much better mobo, better for down the road sustainability.

Well I just looked on ebay, which is not good itself. Just seems a good deal for the money, though its budget hardware. Im not up to setting up something myself. Im not expecting massive performance but its better than what I have. Im still only looking to run xp so one of those bundles is ideal. I only rarely game and as long as I can run dawn of war 2 ill be pleased. It ran really well before with my 9600 gso 768 but with this 9800gt it struggles big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom