Need Help Choosing Parts for New Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireball

Baseband Member
Hi. I am looking to build a computer. I am pretty familiar with computers but I don't know pricing or which specific parts are good for the build I want.

I am looking to build a mid-range gaming pc. I am not going to be overclocking alot. I've never overclocked a computer so I might try it with this computer but will only overclock alittle if at all. Overclocking isn't a priority.

I am looking to spend between $800-$1000. I would prefer not to get a motherboard that is barely going to support what I have in this build and allow for no upgrading in the future. Basically, I'd like some versitility.

Oh, and I don't need a monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard, or a huge hd. I have about 900GB worth of storage in external hard drives.

Thanks for any help that is provided!!!!!

And then whatever Harddrive and DVD drive you want. 612 bucks before shipping. For 800-1K, you could get a (lot) better processor than what I listed, and also wait for the 9800 series of video cards.

What processor would be the next step up from the one you listed?

When is the 9800 series coming out?

Puddle Jumper said:
I would go with this psu instead

Why would you go with that one instead of the other?

Edit: Thank You all for your responses!!!

I think I will go with that RAM, b1gapl, from the reviews it seems like its the best for the price range.

The 9800 series are already out. 9800GTX and 9800GX2. But they will meet their end somwhere around July, where the 9900 series will launch.

The next step after the E4600, would probably be the E8xxx series, specifically the E8200.

Corsair in my opinion, are higher quality power supplies.

LOL, I guess I'm behind the times...
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics

Here's a good step up with the processor, the E6xxx series, then it's off to the E8xxx series.
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

And my Thermaltake is a pretty decent and stable PSU I might add, but of course, I haven't had any experience with Corsair PSU's yet, and people here know what they're talking about, if the consensus says Corsair, go Corsair.

Also, one last thing, you can get G.Skill with lower timings for not much more, here's some 4-4-4-12 as opposed to the 5-5-5-13 I posted earlier.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom