Need help choosing Budget Mobo/CPU combo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

harshytkage

Solid State Member
Well, since i have an old MSI mobo with a 915 Chipset, so yeah, i'm in a desparate need for an upgrade, but unfortunately i don't have the money to go for an all out rig, so i just need a small Mobo upgrade...i have a budget of around 50$:)()

here'what i'm getting for 50$ in exchange for my current specs of a local trusted dealer-
MOBO
ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 AM2+/AM2 NV Geforce 7025 / nForce 630a chipset AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131370

Processor
a Sempron 1250
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819103189

Now i'm worried mainly about the Sempron not being able to handle very much, not that i put my PC through much anyway but is the 2.2 Ghz enough to handle casual gaming, i'm talking Pro evo and fifa titles and the occasional RPG or RTS.
The mobo has an onboard dedi, Nvidia 7025.

i'm happy with the board since it leaves me options to upgrade afterwards(Q- is the AM2/AM2+ outdated since the newer ones have an AM3 socket, since i heard the phenoms were backward compatible)

So in the end i'd like to ask will it give me more performance than my original setup (P4 prescott 3.06 Ghz, Intel 915 chipset 1.5 Gigs DDR2 ram)

Does the sempron have any overclocking possibilities?, and would the Nvidia be better than the Geforce 5200?or would i be better off with a G31(Graphics wise) mobo and a even crappier CPU?And forget what i said about the AM2/+ socket, i forgot that the chips were backward compatible). And will i be able to run Windows 7/Vista better than now on my current system?

(i know i ask a lot of questions but please help me out!)
Thanks

Links are broken.

To basically answer all of your questions, you should wait to upgrade until you have more money to throw around. That mobo will not support an AM3, while some AM2+ boards do, it's all 790 chipsets and some 780 chipsets. If you're looking for a cheap build, save up a few hundred bucks and go from there. The onboard on a 780G should be adequate for what gaming you do, and it's able to be upgraded later.

Thanks for pointing out the broken links
This is just a temp measure, just to make it for a year or so, i have quite a large budget after that(evil laughter)...so basically, i'm not going to go for a Phenom anyways.(i dont know why i mentioned i was gonna upgrade it afterwards)
But what you said about gaming, i don't really play at everything maxed out or super high res, so what would you say about it as a temp measure?just consider what i'm on right now, would i get serious performance gain(compared to my 915,p4) on this?

MOBO
Newegg.com - ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 AM2+/AM2 NV Geforce 7025 / nForce 630a chipset AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

CPU
Newegg.com - AMD Sempron LE-1250 Sparta 2.2GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Single-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Don't double post. There's an edit button at the bottom right of each post.

You need more money. Hands down. Even a little more money will get you a huge upgrade. The stuff you have right now won't be worth the money you throw at it. Those parts together are 82 bucks before shipping, and you're getting another single core processor that won't be much faster than your P4.

This is your cheapest bet for getting a nice upgrade that you can upgrade even further later.

Newegg.com - Foxconn A7GM-S 2.0 AM2+ / AM3 Ready AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

Those two parts would come out to be $137.57 after shipping. Your original stuff came out to be $88.98...so for an extra 50 ish bucks, you get something a LOT faster, and you can upgrade later.

The 780G chipset has a great onboard video solution too, for RTS and RPG type games. Plays fine at lower resolutions.

Awright, i'll agree to what you say. Sorry aboiut the double post, i had come to expect through experience that the double post usually gets auto-merged, my bad. And you're right about the exponential rise in band for buck with another 50$ or so, but since i don't have it right now(i'm a student, the parents don't ahem...agree with the technological advancement stuff :p ) I'll have to wait another year then, off to college, they say they'll give me a budget of around 2k to get smfin...
Thanks for the help though!

No problem. IF we could get you something nice for 50 bucks, we would. But we aren't magicians. :p

Good luck. If you get some more money, come back and we'll see what kind of parts you could get then.

Sure will, wonder what i can get for 2k, though it's not for a desktop but a lappy, are laptops even made in that range?(yeah, i'm a complete n00b when it comes to Laptop hardware)

For 2k you could get a SWEET desktop...honestly, I feel like laptops are a waste of money at that cost.

You could always get a sweet desktop then get a small laptop, like a netbook, for doing school work, browsing internet, etc.

Unless you like to be able to game on the go, or take it to friends houses without the hassle of loading up your desktop.

I'm with you on the desktop thing, but since i'll be off to college next year, it wouls be a waste if my Rig is left unused at home wont it :p
the main reason i'm getting a lappy's since i wont be home anymore...
But yeah, a 2k rig would be sweeeeet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom