need help buying ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

balb6

Solid State Member
My p5b deluxe wifi motherboard is dual channel.I am going to install 1 gb ram . I see kits or sets of 2/512. Is this the better way to go with a dual channel or would it make no difference if I installed a single stick of 1gb. I seem to have heard that these sets are for dual channel. Thanks.

Dual channel would be good if you're not going to upgrade in the future, or if you have alot of RAM slots. If you're limited and have only two RAM slots, use one stick.

Yeah, think about the future when doing this. Currently I only have 1gb of ram in one stick but in the next month or two I can just grab a second one. If your motherboard supports 2gb or more I'd just get the single stick if I were you.

This motherboard will support 8 gb. Do you get more performance when you go dual vs. a straight 1 gb?

Yes, but what we're saying is that if you go 2x512mb now instead of 1x1gb future upgrades are going to be more expensive. I recommend you do 1x1gb now and work your way up to 2x1gb over time when you get another $100 to blow on ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom