Need help building my first rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

InAchord

Beta member
I have never built a computer before but I've always wanted to. My budget is <$1000 (including monitor and keyboard, I'm all set with my OS) for a solid gaming build that has room for upgrades in the future, but I am aiming for around $900. Here's my current potential build:

My biggest gripe about my processor choice is it does not come with a warranty since it's OEM and not retail, but I have heard good things about it in terms of overclocking and unlocking the 4th processor. Anyone here have experience with Phenom II X3's or can someone recommend me an alternative without going overboard on price.

Also, I'm unsure of my motherboard choice - will it go well with my processor or should I go with something else? I want something that will allow me to upgrade in the future.

Total price: $973.90 without shipping - it's just within my $1000 price range, but I would like to go lower without sacrificing performance. Less than $900 would be best case scenario for me, so are there any ways I can save money with my setup?

Lastly, can I build an even better system within my budget using a Core i5 processor instead? I chose the Phenom II X3 because it was a lot cheaper and has great overclocking capabilities, but I also hear great things about i5's right now.

Thanks in advance for all the replies and suggestions!

you may want to look at your options for the motherboard.
what are you going to use 4 pci e x1 slots for ?
pci slots i find more versatile.
pci; wireless card, added usb ports, tv tuner card, audio card, or ??

look at the asus motherboards. gigabyte is my favorite but it looks like the asus motherboards might offer more flexability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom