NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!! Graphics upgrade!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehShaDowZ

Solid State Member
Hey!
Im looking to upgrade my current PC (Gateway DX 4200-09) with a new graphics card!
Im a pretty big gamer...But currently im still on the integrated card it comes with...Im wondering what PCI-E card i should buy that will play most modern games while spending under 100$, maybe 150$...Like Battlefield Bad Co. 2, Portal 2, Cod 4,6,7 High/Min Settings, etc. And what other things will i need? Im pretty sure i need a new power supply...Im currently on the 300watt power and i dont think it has the PCI-E connector i need...Im looking at a 600watt one...And what about video ram? Do i need more than whats already in the computer?! Anyway, respond to this asap! Current PC Specs: Gateway DX4200-09 Specs - Desktops - CNET Reviews

Ahhh, thank you...2 quick questions.... Like I said above, I saw a 600w power supply that was cheaper than the one you linked... Is there much of a difference performance wise?

Ahhh, thank you...2 quick questions.... Like I said above, I saw a 600w power supply that was cheaper than the one you linked... Is there much of a difference performance wise?

All PSUs are different. Without a link to the exact PSU you were looking at, I cannot say. If it was cheaper than the PSU I linked, chances are that it is a low quality power supply and should be avoided.

Also a good graphics card is This

I agree with you. However, that graphics card is likely not in his budget. The card is $130, that will leave $20 for a quality power supply. That just isn't enough money unless he is willing to spend more than he stated in the first post.

Performance wise? Some. Dependability? HUGE difference.

The PSU is actually your most important component. If you buy a crappy PSU and it blows up (literally), odds are it will take out other components with it. No brand of PSU is immune to dying on you but there are some that have proven themselves to be higher quality and more dependable. Antec is one of these brands; you will find several lists of them in the PSU guide here on Tech-Forums.

Basically, cheaper does not equal better. You would be better off spending more on a PSU and having to skimp on the graphics card (for now).

Thanks, and ide be willing to spend a little extra if it meant better gameplay...would that second card be the way to go?

Thanks, and ide be willing to spend a little extra if it meant better gameplay...would that second card be the way to go?

Yes, the second card is more powerful than the first one that I listed. The card Cameron listed is the way to go. I would order it from Newegg, you get free shipping and a free game, Mafia 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom