Need help adding new parts to current PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titan127

Beta member
Hello all, am looking to upgrade my motherboard, CPU and PSU to power this and future SLI (hopefully)

Ok here is my current set up.

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+, MMX, ~2.4GHz (Overclocked from ~2.1GHZ)
Memory:
4GB DDR2 800Mhz (Limited by 32bit XP)
Hard Drive:
500 GB SATA 7200RPM
Video Card:
NVIDIA BFG GeForce 9800 GT
Sound Card:
Realtek HD Audio output
Operating System:
Windows XP Home Edition 32bit
Motherboard:
GeForce6100SM-M
PSU:
Am not sure but it is a 500W supply

Ok now I had this in mind, I really want a new CPU as mine is frankly rubbish and its getting hard to play modern games with good settings. To do this I will need a new motherboard as I want an AMD quad core. I also think I will need a larger PSU to power it but I also need one which will be able to power another GeForce9800GT in the future when I add one.

For the motherboard I need SLI ability, at least 1 ATA slot for my old IDE drive. A AM2+ CPU socket so I can use both my current CPU and then put in a new CPU this Christmas.

For October I will have £200 to spend and will have more for Christmas but am hoping to spend no more than £300.

So here is the motherboard I think is good: Play.com (UK) : MSI DKA790GX AM2 AMD-790GX 4X DDRII-1066 HD3300 Graphics Raid LAN E-SATA ATX Motherboard : Computing - Free Delivery

Now here is my main question, that motherboard has integrated ATI graphics. How will that affect my GeForce 9800GT? I heard you have to clear out ALL the ATI drivers, is that difficult to do?

I was planning on this CPU for Christmas time: AMD HD995ZXAGHBOX Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I can get it for £115.

Now I found this PSU here: Play.com (UK) : CiT 750U / 750W / ATX / PSU / Power Supply Unit : Computing - Free Delivery
It seems cheap for 750W but the problem is it doesn't have the cable for 2 PCI-E 16x slots which I will need for SLI. Am really don't want to spend a lot on the PSU so does anyone know if you can buy the cable by itself or do they know a good PSU capable of running 2 GeForce9800GT cards and an AMD Quad Core.

you cant sli on that msi mobo, it only supports crossfire. i think you will be needing a mobo with an nvidia chipset.

dont get the old phenoms, the newer phenom II's are much better.
AMD Phenom II X4 940 3GHz Socket AM2+ 6MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor - Ebuyer

that is a cheap psu also, you dont want to skimp on that because it could fry the rest of your parts. look for brands like corsair, pc power & cooling, antec, ocz.

you cant sli on that msi mobo, it only supports crossfire. i think you will be needing a mobo with an nvidia chipset.

dont get the old phenoms, the newer phenom II's are much better.
AMD Phenom II X4 940 3GHz Socket AM2+ 6MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor - Ebuyer

that is a cheap psu also, you dont want to skimp on that because it could fry the rest of your parts. look for brands like corsair, pc power & cooling, antec, ocz.

Sorry I got the two motherboards I was looking at confused, this here is the one am interested in: Play.com (UK) : MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum / Socket AM2+ / nForce 750a SLI / ATX Motherboard : Computing - Free Delivery

Hmm I never thought I could get that CPU for that price, expected it to be at least £175...

Ok I could get the nForce750a for October, will also get a good quality branded PSU with everything needed for SLI then for Christmas I should be hopefully able to get that CPU.

My current AMD 64 X2 CPU will work in an AM2+ cpu socket until I get the PhenomII yes?

Hmm what about this PSU? Tornado 800w PSU for Dual Core systems SLI Ready: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

yes, but i dont know much about nforce chipsets, so maybe you could stick around for someone elses input on whether thats a good mobo or not.

yes, but i dont know much about nforce chipsets, so maybe you could stick around for someone elses input on whether thats a good mobo or not.

Ok thanks, you've been helpful :happy:

Oh just another question, how well will the motherboard and CPU work with overclocking?

the phenom II cpus are good OCers. some of the members here have pushed them near or surpassed 4ghz. http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/tech-forums-official-superpi-1m-top-list-169586/

it also depends on the mobo, if it has good OCing features.

i saw your edit above about the psu, and it still seems like a weak pick. thers just something about £50 for an 800w psu that makes it seem too good to be true, and it probably is. this will handle your upgrades and sli.
Corsair 650W TX Series PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail - Ebuyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom