Techist - Tech Forum

Techist - Tech Forum (http://www.techist.com/forums/)
-   System Upgrades (http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/)
-   -   Need Help! (http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/need-help-84263/)

Hapx4.0 01-21-2006 04:40 PM

Need Help!

Okay, i just finished putting my computer together the other day and all seemed well but i keep having a few problems i cant figure out.

1. when i download some things, when its getting ready to install them, i get a error that says

Extracting file failed. Its most likely caused by low memory ( low disk space for swapping file ) or corrupted cabinet file.

i thought i fixed it but it keeps doing it, so i cant upgrade my directx, Nvidia Drivers, and most downloads.

2. i keep freezing while in games.

3. and web pages don't load all the way the first time, it says done in the status bar but the page is like 30% done, when i hit refresh it fixes it but this can get anointing.

i think its a memory issue but i just got my ram about 2 months ago and it worked fine when it was in my old Mobo/CPU, same ram, GC, HDD

System is:

Asus A8n SLI Mobo
AMD 3200+ 2.0
BFG GeForce 6200 OC 256MB DDR PCI
1 GIG PC3200 PNY RAM
40 Gig hard drive
Windows xp

I'm new at this and and very lost, any help will be appreciated alot.

GoodNews101 01-21-2006 05:02 PM

What new mobo do you have now and have you checked the RAM to see if one or both are defective. Also, this sounds suspiciously like a power supply problem. Can you tell us about your PSU?

Hapx4.0 01-21-2006 05:08 PM

I have not tryed the pc with one of each ram at a time but, thay worked fine in my old pc, should i try them 1 at a time?

The new motherboard is the Asus A8n, the old one was something that came in a Emachines.

but the PSU I'm not sure, it came with the case a friend gave me but is fairly new.

Hapx4.0 01-21-2006 05:23 PM

I tryed doing the microsoft memory check test, but i cant figure it out.

Camden 01-21-2006 05:27 PM

It doesn't sound like a psu problem....
To me it sounds like, as others have said, mobo or RAM. Though if you're convinced that your ram is all good and compatable, there's a chance you just got a faulty mobo.

Kitire 01-21-2006 05:33 PM

Gah, why did you get a 6200?

Hapx4.0 01-21-2006 05:45 PM

its all my old Mobo could run, it only had pci slots, no pci-e or agp slots..lol

im still saving up for my new GC.

so should i call asus and have them work with me?

Hapx4.0 01-21-2006 10:13 PM

Okay got some more info if it will help

I took out both 512 sticks and put them in every order they could be, problem consisted.

but i didnt even think it could be how i installed windows, my friend had a burned disk of windows i used to reinstall since my HDD was pre-installed with windows, and i just used my CD key sense my Emachine didnt come with a windows xp disk, so I'm wondering if the disk he got was a bad version? could the problem be because it was maybe a bad version? even though i used my windows key?

And i did a Memory Diagnostic i got of Microsoft and the ram passed 100%.