Need help for 3 monitors using Radeon HD 5870 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to mastaclue00
Default Need help for 3 monitors using Radeon HD 5870

hey guys...I'm having a little trouble getting this to work and was wondering if I could get some help on here. After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that I was going to need an active display port to connect my TV (42LG30) to my computer (which has 2 monitors). What I would like to do is extend the display on my main screen onto my TV. So this is what I bought online:

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE DisplayPort to DVI-D Dual Link Adapter Model 100915 - Video Card Accessories

Now, before I had a VGA cable going from my comptuer to my TV so I bought a VGA to DVI adapter to connect the display port to the VGA cable. Here is the adapter:

Newegg.com - KINGWIN ADP-04 DVI-D Male (24+1 pin) To VGA HD 15 Female Adapter - Adapters & Gender Changers

After connecting everything together, I am still getting the error message that I cannot use the third monitor without disabling another one. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? Is it the VGA cable that is causing the problem? Thanks guys!

Old 01-31-2010, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: Need help for 3 monitors using Radeon HD 5870

so just to be clear, you're using 2 adapters to connect your TV to your card? Does it work if you select it as the only monitor?

I'm not sure how it works exactly, but i believe that one of the DVI ports on the card is shared with either the HDMI or display port. Maybe you need to experiment using the different ports to get the correct setting.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasaid View Post
so just to be clear, you're using 2 adapters to connect your TV to your card? Does it work if you select it as the only monitor?

I'm not sure how it works exactly, but i believe that one of the DVI ports on the card is shared with either the HDMI or display port. Maybe you need to experiment using the different ports to get the correct setting.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am using 2 adapters to connect my TV. And no, I cannot get it to work by itself as a monitor. I'm so confused lol. I'm trying to mess around with it now. I'll post if I find anything. Thanks guys
Old 01-31-2010, 06:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

try to get it to work on its own before you try for the 3 monitor setup. do you have HDMI-in on your TV?
Old 01-31-2010, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
try to get it to work on its own before you try for the 3 monitor setup. do you have HDMI-in on your TV?
Okay. I've been trying and the only way I can get it to work on my TV is to hook it up to the DVI output and disable one of my monitors. Yes I do have an HDMI-in on my TV, however my monitor is using the HDMI port on the card right now
Old 01-31-2010, 11:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/Disp...nnectivity.pdf

you can see that the second column (DVI) and fourth column (HDMI) alternate native/disabled. Where the DVI is native, the HDMI is disabled; and where DVI is disabled, HDMI is native. Since you're using the HDMI, make sure you're using the right DVI port, and not the disabled one. I think configuration 6 may be most appropriate for you.... but if you can give more details about the connectivity of your monitors.. like what ports or w/e are present, we can help you more.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/Disp...nnectivity.pdf

you can see that the second column (DVI) and fourth column (HDMI) alternate native/disabled. Where the DVI is native, the HDMI is disabled; and where DVI is disabled, HDMI is native. Since you're using the HDMI, make sure you're using the right DVI port, and not the disabled one. I think configuration 6 may be most appropriate for you.... but if you can give more details about the connectivity of your monitors.. like what ports or w/e are present, we can help you more.
Thanks for the response. Okay I switched my connections to look like this:

I think that this is the configuration #6. Now when I try to duplicate my desktop on my main screen to my TV, my computer crashes lol. I am still having trouble getting my TV to show my computer using the displayport. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

Try this:

Display port to DVI/VGA adapter to 2nd monitor.
DVI port to DVI/VGA adapter to your TV
Keep HDMI to main monitor.

Just to clear things up, your TV worked fine with the DVI port right?

I think maybe having 2 adapters between source and monitor may be preventing the display port from working... but then why would your computer crash?! hmmm.... could be bad drivers... do you have the latest drivers from ATI? Try the different setup i told you about and report back.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

make sure everything is connected and nothing is loose and that the usb connection for the displayport adapter is also connected.

and even though i have nothing to back me on this, i also think that using an additional adapter with the displayport adapter might be causing a problem.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Equator Gringo

Definitely make sure you are using dual link DVI connectors, here's a link so you can confirm:

Digital Visual Interface (DVI) Connector, DVI Pinout

PII 940 :: 5870 :: Rage powered
Closed Thread