Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say you get a Centurion 5 instead of the Transformer and get a 7900gs instead of a 7600gt. Drop the sound** card... and maybe you can get DDR2 667mhz RAM at least.

Hey, I'm living off of 512 MB (256MB PC2700 + 256MB PC2100), so ANYTHING for me is an improvement. Yes, I'm on a laptop.

By the way, if anyone has time, check out my website at

http://ellothar121.sitesled.com

I'm going to work in some possibilities in my negotiations involving the words PayPal, Job, and Web Developing.

For non-graphic-intensive purposes, is a video card still required?

EDIT: I'm willing to bet that if I can convince my mom to let me spend $980, I can go for $1010. Also, what does a 7800gs do that a 7600gt can't? Are there any games that need the extra 200? :p

Thanks for the case suggestion anyways, though!

It's a 7900gs. And you'll basically just get more FPS, and be able to run most games at higher quality, etc.

Also, the 7900gs is pretty **** overclockable. I got mine to 595 core and 1644 memory on stock cooling and it's not volt modded. These are pretty good clocks, though, maybe you won't get these high.

And for the extra 40 dollars or so, I don't think your money can go anywhere else for better gaming performance.

Will an old (and by old, I mean REALLY old. Like, windows 98-type old. :p) CRT Monitor work for a while? My dad has a computer that he doesn't use anymore, but it's only got 5 or 10GB on it, and not sure how little ram, so I'm going to borrow it for a while. If it works with my system, that is.

Okay, my brother's home for the weekend, and he's informed me that AMD CPU's are somewhat better for gaming. Is there a significant difference, or am I okay with an Intel?

If AMD's are the way to go, can you tell me a good one out of these that's less than $150? Also, can you point me out an Athlon 64 X2 that's pretty good, for less than $187?

EDIT: Processor
Is this processor any good? It's .13Ghz more than the Intel, but I think I've heard that Intel and AMD measure differently, right?

Okay, my brother helped me find this RAM. It's the same price as my 1GB(512MB x2), but it's DDR2 667 (PC2 5300), compared to the DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) RAM I had on there before. Also, with my brother's help, I've found a pretty good processor and a decent motherboard, methinks, for the $5 less than the Intel!
Links:
RAM
Processor
MotherBoard
PSU

D'you think HIPER is worth the extra $40? My brother says that it is, but I'unno.

EDIT: Oh, yeah! I talked to my parents (or parent, my dad is out of town for a Home Owners Association meeting.), and she said that, if I really wanted to do this, I could get some of it for my birthday, and we'd work out the rest later. I'm pretty sure I'll have this built in the next 365 days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
POST 1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay, I've just updated the wishlist, here it is!

It wouldn't let me edit the message before, sorry!

EDIT:How many watts do I need? My brother says that, with the amount of fans I have, plus everything else, at least 500W, so I can accommodate later additions.

EDIT2: I need to separate this into 3 lists, and I was wondering if it's safe to have a processor for 180 days without attaching it to a motherboard. They all come in separate boxes, right?

<DELETED> -- I need to edit my list, I haven't updated it to conform to my current prices XD

Is it okay to separate it that way?

EDIT3: One last thing! What's the difference between a 32-bit OS and a 64-bit OS? I have a 64-bit processor, if that makes a difference.

Could someone give me an article, or tell me the differences with these combinations:
32b Proc + 32b OS
32b Proc + 64b OS
64b Proc + 32b OS
64b Proc + 64b OS

Thanks a lot to everyone that's helped me out!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
POST 2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm sorry I've double--no, triple--no, quad-posted (plus this one, so penta-posted), but I don't know how big I can make that (points above) without you having a brain seizure.

I took out the monitor, I'm just going to ask for it for the X-Mas after this is finished. The Old CRT Monitor will serve me fine for the 6 months after I get this running until Christmas. Funny fact, my birthday is exactly half a year between any two christmases.
(6/25)-->(12/25)-->(6/25)-->(12/25)

I have an excellent keyboard/mouse/stereo set that I love to death, so I don't need to worry about that!

So without further adieu (that's the correct spelling, I looked it up and everything :p), here is my list!

~ B-Day 1 ~ TOTAL (~$350.37 w/ tax) ~
Case ($79.99)
Motherboard ($74.99)
Hard Drive ($62.99)
RAM ($74.99)

~ Christmas 1 ~ TOTAL ($339.83 w/ tax) ~
Processor ($239.99)
PSU ($89.99)

~ B-Day 2 ~ TOTAL ($331.48 w/ tax) ~
Video Card ($169.99)
OS ($119.99)
Optical Drive ($24.20)
120mm Fan ($6.99)

~ Christmas 2 ~ TOTAL ($179.99, free shipping)
Monitor ($179.99)

EDIT: I just realized; I need a modem in order to use Ethernet, or a USB/PCI thing for wireless... right?

EDIT2: If I do need one, is this one any good?

Sorry about this, it's letting me edit, so I'm attempting to merge these two posts.

Okay, my brother has informed me of this apparently magical and wondrous thing, SLI... I've found a nice motherboard that supports it for only $10 more than the one I had before. Should I go with that one?

Links!
SLI
Non-SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom