Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellothar121

In Runtime
Hello, everyone! This be my first post here! I'm afraid I'll have to ask to borrow a red carpet, as I lost mine the last time I introduced myself at a forum...

Anyways! I've been trying to figure out a list of things that I'd need to build a computer, and I'm having trouble piecing everything together. I'm missing a motherboard (I can't figure out what I need in one), but I think (Read: Think = hope...) that I'm on the right track.

I've exported my wishlist on NewEggs to another HTML document, for your (and my :eek:) convenience. If you could help me out with finding better/more cost-efficient stuff, while keeping me under $1000, I'd be really appreciative.
List Be Here

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you did research, most people come on here completely blind and expect everyone here to basically build it for them. Well, first off, If you plan on gaming, That video card is no good, Switch to maybe a 7600GT, or even a 7900GT is you feel like spending the extra money for a card that will last you longer. You should go with the Gigabyte DS3 motherboard, it seems to be the go to guy for the conroe line up. You should check out Creative's line of sound cards, They're better known for quality. I like the case you chose, I'm gonna pick up one soon myself, I love the thing. Just know that it's huge before you buy it haha. You might want to look into a different LCD, that one doesn't have the best response time in the world. Don't get me wrong it'll get the job done, but you'll notice quality lacking if you're gaming on it. Well, That's just my input, hope I can help.

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you did research, most people come on here completely blind and expect everyone here to basically build it for them. Well, first off, If you plan on gaming, That video card is no good, Switch to maybe a 7600GT, or even a 7900GT is you feel like spending the extra money for a card that will last you longer. You should go with the Gigabyte DS3 motherboard, it seems to be the go to guy for the conroe line up. You should check out Creative's line of sound cards, They're better known for quality. I like the case you chose, I'm gonna pick up one soon myself, I love the thing. Just know that it's huge before you buy it haha. You might want to look into a different LCD, that one doesn't have the best response time in the world. Don't get me wrong it'll get the job done, but you'll notice quality lacking if you're gaming on it. Well, That's just my input, hope I can help.
I did a bit of research, but it was mostly putting together random stuff and my older brother critiquing it when he was home from college. However, he's back at school, so I'm left with (as I understand it) an almost-half-decent setup for someone that doesn't know what he's doing. I changed the Vid. Card to 7600GT, and added a Gigabyte DS3 MB. Thanks!
No motherboard - also, a 7300LE and a 32-bit copy of Vista? What gives?

You could really get a better PSU deal, and onboard sound would do you fine. Also, 512MB RAM will NOT cut it for Vista.
I said no motherboard, I was too confused by the array of options available. 7300LE+Vista=Confused again, I just added Vista this morning.
Could you suggest something for the PSU, and what do you mean by onboard sound? (Sorry! Call me a newbie.) Also, it's 512 MB x2.

Is this a good monitor for it's price? Can someone name a more cost-efficient one, otherwise?

I'm updating the wishlist, I'll rehost it in a few minutes.

EDIT: Done updating. Also, is this a decent sound-card? I have a bet with myself that I can keep this
less than $900. Think I can do it?

EDIT the 2nd: I'm an avid PC Gamer, so a good video card is a must, but as long as the sound card gives me noise (I already have a set of speakers from a few Christmases ago), I'm good to go.

Well, on the subject of the monitor, That one is a far better choice than the previous one. The vista comment was because vista is a pretty demanding OS to run and that is a low end video card simply put. In a PSU I think you should get a Hiper modular model. They're usually around 90 bucks and are real good performers. If you're an avid gamer, you're definitely gonna want to look into the 7900 or 7950. Your other option on the video card right now is to get a cheaper DirectX9 card, like a 7600 and wait until more DirectX10 cards are out at more reasonable prices, which I think would be the smartest move. Your sound card is fine, As I said, Creative is known for quality products. Onboard sound is the sound output that comes on your motherboard. It's ok but if you have a good set of speakers you'd notice the difference in sound quality. 1GB should be fine to run vista and games, 2GB is more or less the gaming standard but you can always upgrade that later if you feel the need or just have left over cash.

Okay, I updated it with the monitor/sound card switch.

On the topic of the PSU, I've located the HIPER models, but am unsure as to the difference between different models. Could you help me out?Here's the link. Also, what wattage do you think I'll need?

Do you think there's anything else that needs switching?

I'm logging off for the night, thanks for everything!

the monitor is good I have it mine works fine.

sound card i have is Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 SB0610 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
(limit 1 per customer) what's this?

hope that helps

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817128003

I have one of those bad boys running my system right now and I can tell you the thing is a dream to work with. It's a modular design, meaning you plug the connection wires into the PSU itself and only use the ones you want. This makes wire management just that much easier and all the cables come braided so there's zero mess. It has every connection you'd ever need to incase you're worried about that. The 580 watt model is probably overkill for what you're running but it'll leave room for future upgrades incase you ever decide to go nuts and buy a bunch of power hungry things to stick in that huge case. That same PSU I just linked to is also available with blue or red LED fans and the cables come in the same colors as the fans to. I have the blue one and it looks awesome, too bad my case hides most of it, Let me tell you thought the thing is bright so if that's not what you're looking for then I'd stick to the non-LED models. Everything else in your list looks good, Should be a nice build.

Okay, Thanks everyone for your input thus far!

I put in the PSU you suggested, M733, but I got the Blue LED one (I figure, for only $5 more, why not!), and I'll update the wishlist as soon as someone answers this question:

Would it be better to have two of these (512 MB/each DDR2 800Mhz (PC2 6400) ), or one of these (1024 MB DDR2 667Mhz (PC2 5300) ) Sticks of RAM? Is there a noticeable difference?

If I'm right in my definition of overclocker (one who is constantly on his PC), I might fit in on the edge of that (anywhere from 3-5 hours on weekdays on the PC), I'm not sure though.

The RAM you might be better off getting the two 512's. They're faster and you can run them in dual channel, Instead of just one stick of slower memory. Overclocking is jacking up the performance on your PC by going into your motherboard's Bios and tweaking the settings to get more out of it. Though I suppose your definition could work too haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom