Need GPU recommendation for triple 24" monitor setup - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2014, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick
Default Need GPU recommendation for triple 24" monitor setup

Hey guys, just picked up a couple of Dell's to add to my Sammy and am looking for a GPU setup to run this without overspending. All three are 1900x1200 IPS panels, my main is an older Samsung that I picked up for photo editing, beautiful colours, love this thing to death. The two Dells are brand new and nice as well but I want to run them vertically. Sorry i don't have the part numbers but i'm not at home right now.

So my main panel will be landscape and is the only panel I'll be using for games, really I only play dota 2 so don't need anything super for gaming. The two Dells I want to place on the vertical, one on each side of the samsung. They will be used primarily for work to monitor and switch between multiple windows I need open at the same time. Am tired of minimizing and then re-opening up.

Right now I have a single gtx 480 that I haven't bothered to upgrade (no onboard video) and so in order to run three monitors I will need another video card. Here is what I'm wondering:

1) Pick up another 480 used for SLI
2) Ditch the 480 for another single card capable of triple monitors, 290x maybe
3) Ditch the 480 for two other cards

I've been holding onto the 480 as I want to mess with some watercooling for it. I have the block and gear but just haven't gotten around to it. Would either like to keep it and use it in another system at the house or maybe sell it with the block. Am open to both options. Around here I can get around $100 for the 480 used.

[edit]Oh, the rest of my system: 8GB ram, 2600k 850 Corsair psu, 240 SSD

Another factor, I like simple....I'd be willing to spend a little extra if it means a simpler setup that is less likely to cause me problems down the road.[/edit]

jfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Need GPU recommendation for triple 24" monitor setup

The simplest and cheapest solution is just get a cheapo Nvidia card and toss it in there like a GT630. I have a 680 capable of 4 monitors but I use a 9600GT in my bottom slot for my other 2 monitors so certain programs that utilize 3D features aren't blacked out when playing a game on the main monitor.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

You could check out this 290X

You can play most, if not all of your games on maximum settings with this card, and its a good price too, I think it is on sale or something, it is almost a $100 cheaper than the competition and has a lifetime warranty if your register on the website.

If you don't want to spend so much but want great performance get this
I think that one is on sale to, its a good price for such a reputable gpu brand
Old 05-31-2014, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to jfenwick Send a message via MSN to jfenwick

Thanks, but I think the 290x is a bit overkill for my limited use. The only game I play is dota 2 and a cheese slice would play that.

At this point I think I'll either try and pick up a cheapo card used or convince my buddy who is always upgrading to sell me his backup 660 cheap.
jfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote