Need Feedback... AMD Build... Super Newb

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueHiddenSun

Solid State Member
After spending the last week on the forum and using the advice from a few members here, I have started a build and just wanted to make sure I am headed in the right direction.

For my build I want to be able to browse the internet, check e-mail and, on rare occasions, be able to play games like Sims 3, NFS Underground, and run some movie editing software. I am currently having an issue with my current machine with low virtual memory, so I want to make sure I have plenty of RAM for when I am multi-tasking.

My budget is $550-$650.

UPDATED
After a few more hours searching on the forum and browsing the stickies, this is what I have...

Windows 7
Antec Sonata Elite Black ATX Mid Tower Case
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA
G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX
---wanted to go with a 650 to leave some room for future expansion without jumping into a 750

Toss up with these two setups...
AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core
ASUS M4A78-E AM2+/AM3 AMD 790GX
@ $663.53 shipped TOTAL
-or-
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core
BIOSTAR TA790GXB A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX
@ $648.53 shipped TOTAL

So for $15 less I am getting a Quad instead of a Triple, but am I sacrificing anything with the differences in Motherboards? I am lost... help!

hi,

do you mean that you have a $500-$600 budget for just those 4 parts? (mobo, cpu, psu, os) or $500-$600 for the whole thing?

for the cpu and mobo, that deal with the 940 and the biostar is good. i doubt you will have problems installing the os, they are a good brand.

don't go with the old phenoms, the phenom II's are much better. the old phenoms are the old 65nm chips that use up more power, have less performance, and produce more heat. stick with the phen II's.

if you feel you don't need quad core power, you can always get a phenom II x3 with three cores. this looks to be a good combo.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

also for the psu, this is a good one.

Newegg.com - Antec Basiq BP500U 500W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.01 Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

and for your OS, save your money from vista, and get the windows 7 RC

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

the full windows 7 will be released this october, so you can use this until then and then purchase the full, wouldnt be worth buying vista now.

$550-$650 for the entire build. (exc. Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, Monitor)

The Phenom II X3 Triple Core with the ASUS MB was actually one of the other combos I was looking into.

I just feel the PII X4 Quad is excessive for my application, and the X3 Triple looks like a good alternative.

If the X4 comes out cheaper then an X3, might as well get the X4. Why pay more for less?

The only thing that concerns me is the Biostar 790GXB MB. With the combo it only comes out to about $20, but does the old saying "you get what you pay for" come into play with this MB?

I just feel like they are trying to offload these MB's and one way to do it is but practically giving it away with a Phenom II X4 CPU. Maybe its just me being paranoid, or picky, but I don't want to make a mistake by chosing that motherboard.

I've spent the morning making some adjustments and trying to fine tune what I need. I cut back on the case so I could spend some more on the PSU and CPU and this is what I've come up with...

Case/CPU: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

HDD/RAM: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Mobo: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Video: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

@$692 shipped --- I'm a little overbudget but overall it seems like a decent setup.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for all the input so far, you guys have been a lot of help.

Looks good. The motherboard/CPU will work nicely for what you need, plus more. I have that mobo/cpu package and it's really great for the price. I also have a couple of those WD Black 640's, and can't complain about them.

Enjoy your new build =]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom