Need exp builder's opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaNuZ99

Solid State Member
Okay first I'd liek to thanks Hefemiester, you really helped me out.

well after some more researching and opinions form some of my friends that also builds systems, this is what i got: pretty much i just got rid of the wireless keyboard and mouse idea as changing the batterys are annoying and I'll save around 100$ if i just search for a used LCD monitor on Ebay, and i opted to spend a few extra bucks ancd just get 1TB HDD

Final Draft Specs

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 4870

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

Case: Antec 900

PSU: CORSAIR 750w

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Optical Drive: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW

all in all good machine, and within my my below $700 budget

Not enough power. You need at least 500 watts. It is nice to have some extra headroom for future upgrades as well. I would look in the 550 to 650 range. Keep in mind that you could have a 1000watt åsu and it would only draw the amount of power that your computer needs. So with your system a 1000watt or 400watt would draw the same amount of power.

ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 4870 System Requirements

* PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
* 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
* Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to Certified Power Supplies for a list of Certified products
* Minimum 1GB of system memory
* Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
* DVD playback requires DVD drive
* Blu-rayâ„¢ playback requires Blu-ray drive
* For a complete ATI CrossFireXâ„¢ system, a second ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 4870 graphics card, an ATI CrossFireX Ready motherboard and one ATI CrossFireX Bridge Interconnect cable per graphics card (included) are required

ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 4800 Series - System Requirements

The 900 will fit everything just fine.

raid is combining multiple drives togeter to either increase speed ie raid0 no fault tolerance or data redundancy raid1. there are other levels as well for more than 2 drives. Not really necessary IMO. but fun to have if you want to set it up. RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ahh! thnxs i was mostly worried about everything fitting

as for the psu well if it'll only take up as much power as the computers needs to and since I'd at least need a 500 i think i can spare some $ for a 750w ( the price will be much better than that of a 550w after mail in rebates at newegg :)

oh and thanks for replying to the raid thing,i kinda feel stupid for not googling for it

The corsiar 750tx is a great psu. Wait for the amd guys to take a peek at the rest of your build.

ways to save some cash is to go with a am2+ board and ddr2 memory as the advantages of ddr3 in a PII build are minimal.

The corsiar 750tx is a great psu. Wait for the amd guys to take a peek at the rest of your build.

ways to save some cash is to go with a am2+ board and ddr2 memory as the advantages of ddr3 in a PII build are minimal.

well i guess i'll see what the amd buffs have to say

as for an am2+ board and ddr2 ram, well sure it save me some money,but idk i guess you could say that i want my build to be as up-to-date as possible and I'm still on a budget with my current selection so its ok

All I see is that you need to upgrade the PSU.
640 watts is the safest route, not too much more money, and it is worth it.

I've decided to just go with the 750w which will be cheaper after the mail in rebates and it'll even cost less then the 650w

^640 watts? thats a very specific number o_O

if you go with Hefe's suggestion of going with the corsair 750tx, you could go with a better mobo to support xfire'd 4870's.
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

you could also go with this quad-core cpu which costs a little less than the 550.
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

i know this may sound stupid but i am secretly hoping i somehow can just activate the other two cores with my current setup, as i've read in a lot of places how easily the x2 550 BE can become a Phenom II X4 B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom