Need cheap mobo, gpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
K, basically building an as-cheap-as-possible rig for general internet/word/excel and basic gaming for teenage girls: Sims 2, no OCing

Have an e5200, some RAM and other spare parts I can sell them cheap but need a mobo and gpu, cheaper the better with decent quality. Canadian prices suck and can't even find p43 in price range, what is the next step down? Also, cards, the only thing i've found in their price range are 3450 and 9400gt. Are they worth the cash or should I stick them with onboard for now and recommend they upgrade down the road.

[edit] no real special needs, just want to give them something they can upgrade for a few years....eventually a cheap quad, more ram, better gpu to keep it alive. So upgradable is the only key feature for the mobo.

How are these for onboard:
GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2H vs GA-EG41M-S2H vs GA-G31M-ES2L

Thanks,

Ok, didnt get a reply but went ahead put this build together that is really streching the budget as thin as possible, remember is a non-OC build. Primary concern is upgrade ability as an office/internet/light girly gamer comp.

gigabyte ep43, e5200, 9500gt, 500gb barricuda, 2gb RAM 6400, DVD-RW, centurion 5,coolermaster 460watt

[edit] some more info, the 9500gt is $60CAN and the mobo is $102.

It came out to $510 CAN (e5200 is used) after taxes and S&H, that's about as low as its going to get with these specs.

Question 1:Any recommendations to knock it down a bit more in price? Is there a cheaper 775 mobo you would suggest? or vid card i should consider?

Question 2:what about the coolermaster psu? any good for $40?

NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster Extreme Power Plus 460W ATX Power Supply 12V V2.3 20/24PIN 80MM Fan - RS-460-PMSR In Canada.

The only way the e5200 makes it into the build is if i give them my old one...am considering stepping up my cpu to a q6600 as am looking to upgrade. My primary concern is multitasking and HD home video rendering.

Question 3: with a $200 or so budget to upgrade my cpu is the q6600 the best option when multitasking is my primary concern? Or should i get the 8400 and OC the **** out of it on my p45? Again, am not a gamer, just multitask like nuts and do a lot of HD video stuff, hence quad consideration.

I know the newer q6600's aren't as good as the old ones so just curious if they are worth the extra $$$ still.

Anyways, replies appreciated, on a tight timeline here as most of the items are on time sensitive "while quantities last" sales...rep to be given for good responses!

$280 BEFORE S&H+tax is about as good as it gets for a q9400 here. the e8400 doesn't even dip below $200CAN. $240 for q6600 unles you go OEM from newegg.ca but the last two OEM processors I got from newegg.ca both had multiple bent pins so staying away from them there.

Yeah, was trying to keep 4 RAM slots for future upgrading when they go vista 64 bit. but that is a sig drop in $$$ about $30.00.

upgrade time they can put in 2 x 2gb that is plenty of ram for anything that comp will be used for.
i would go e8400 unless you can get an 8500 on sale.

Good build...should have mentioned that newegg.ca charges a fortune for handling and shipping, even with free mobo there is over $50 in handling fees and $60 in shipping....also have to add a DVD burner and that brings the total to over $600. :(

[edit...you voting with nagasama on the 8400 over the q6600?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom