need advice on switching over to windows vista 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk3supraman

Beta member
i'm building a new computer, and it has been a while since i've done it. i'm going from a athlon xp 2200 to an athlon 64 3800+ Venice 2.4 with an asus a8n32-sli mother board. i have a lot of 32 bit programs, and i have a 250 gig external harddrive, will i be able to use that harddrive with out reformatting it and moving everything over dvd's? and will i still be able to use my 32-bit programs?

Hello,

Yes to both of your questions.

However, you'll need to make sure that all your hardware devices are compatible with Windows Vista x64, because the 64-bit version only permits 'signed drivers' to be installed.

I should think that you'll be able to find 64 bit drivers for your hardware anway.

Windows should give a driver to most of your hardware. It won't be from your hardware's disks. What I noticed when I installed Vista 64: I think all but maybe
1 driver wasn't installed (windows atomatically gives them drivers). If you have a device that windows can't find a driver for, you have to go to that manufactures website and see if they have a Vista 64 driver. ALL of my discs that came with my hardware. motherboard programs, some games, ect. didn't install! Vista will walk you through if there's a problem. I had to go on a few manufactures websites to download the programs that would run of Vista 64.

Your external harddrive should work right off the bat. Plug it in and windows should search and find a driver for it automatically. You might have to reboot. If that doesn't work; go to manufactures website. 99% sure it will work though.

Trust me ditch the idea of getting 64 bit version of Vista. Unless you want the hassle of not being able to run 90% of your hardware becuase the drivers cannot be digitally verified. Unlike XP and 32bit Vista, if the drivers cannot be certified you cant just carry on regardless. Your screwed. I have 32bit Vista and from experience, most if not all the drivers i have installed cannot be digitally certified but luckily i can carry on any way. 64 bit is for 10 years time when someone finally recodes all the drivers digitally. But hey its ur choice...

Trust me ditch the idea of getting 64 bit version of Vista. Unless you want the hassle of not being able to run 90% of your hardware becuase the drivers cannot be digitally verified. Unlike XP and 32bit Vista, if the drivers cannot be certified you cant just carry on regardless. Your screwed. I have 32bit Vista and from experience, most if not all the drivers i have installed cannot be digitally certified but luckily i can carry on any way. 64 bit is for 10 years time when someone finally recodes all the drivers digitally. But hey its ur choice...

well, the reason why i'm using the 64-bit version is because my friend works at h&r block and got a 32-bit and 64-bit version of vista home for free, but he didn't want them, so he gave my friend the 32-bit and i took the 64-bit. but thanks everyone for the info.

I haven't had any major problems at all so far with 64 bit vista. Put it in. Don't be scared by everyone how is telling you all the horror stories about it and they don't even have it. There just like the media. reporting the bad! when's the last time you turned on the news and you found out something positive?? 32 dead.

dont do it. wait untill their first big patch later this year. none of any of the major companies are going vista. its not ready for mass consumption yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom