Need Advice Regarding Components

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moondoggy

Solid State Member
The folks on this forum have convinced me to build instead of buy and I'm looking for some advice on components.

My system is going to have an Intel Core I7 920 CPU and my plan is to run Windows 7 Business Pro in 64-bit mode. My goal is to build a system with some staying power that will last many years. So here's my questions:

To effectively run Windows 7 in 64-bit mode I will need 6 GB of memory at minimum. I'm looking at buying 3, 2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 Tri-Channel memory modules by Corsair for $115. I can also buy 3, 1 GB 1600MHz DDR3 Tri-Channel memory modules by Corsair for $49. My question is this....Since extra memory is so cheap should I buy more than 6 GB? If so should I go with only 3, 1 GB modules for a total of 9 GB or load the system up with 6, 2GB modules for a full 12 GB of memory?

My current system has a DVD reader and a CD-ROM writer and in the new system I was thinking of going with an LG BLU-Ray Disc Rewriter for $190 and an LG DVD writer for $70. Some folks say that this is overkill and that BLU-Ray drives are just too expensive now and that I forget about the BLU-Ray for now and wait until the price comes down. I really have no immediate need for a BLU-Ray writer but again this is a system that I want to have some staying power. Thoughts?

My current plan is to go with an ASUS P6T mobo based on prior experience with another ASUS board and based on the recommendation of my local computer parts shop. I've read a few reviews on this this mobo and it appears to be a resonable choice but are there other mobo's for the Core I7 CPU that are any better for the same or less money?

Lastly, my plan is to buy a Cooler Master Silent Pro M500, 500-Watt PSU. I ran my system configuraton through a program designed to calculate needed wattage and it came back with a figure of 384 Watts. I've heard that too much wattage is just a waste but I keep seeing system with 700 Watt PSU's inside. Is 500 Watt too little? Also the Cooler Master is going to run me around $90 so I'm wondering is this a reasonable price for a quiet PSU? Are there other alternatives to this model that are equally quiet or quietier than this unit that costs less?

6gb of ram is plenty for now. If you need more later it will be cheaper so wait.

If you have no immediate need for a blue ray burner hold off as well. They will be cheaper later.

Since you are building your own it will be easy to add components at a later point in time. Saying you want staying power does not mean you will never upgrade it. You just want a computer that will be easily upgraded in the future.

the p6t is a great mb choice in my book. Also look a the evga and gigabyte boards in the same price range.

the psu choice is dependent upon what gpu you will run and future gpu upgrade plans. I usually like around 200 extra watts to be ready for upgrades. I prefer the offerings from Corsair and PC Power and Cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom