Need advice on a Processor

flamethrow

Solid State Member
Hi there, I need some advice on getting a new processor for my PC. My one's getting pretty old and I don't have the cash to fork out for a new computer.

Here are my computer specs:
Model: ET1840, Acer, eMachines
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5700 @ 3.00GHz
RAM: 4GB
System: Windows 7, 64-bit

I need to find one that's both affordable but has a high clock speed. I'm not sure where to start looking to be honest. I'm not that much of a technical person.

What would you recommend would be best?

I know I will have to find one with a LGA1155 socket. Someone recommended me a an Intel Core 2 Quad processor but I can't find any with the right socket.

Is there any other alternative?

your computer does not have socket LGA 1155.

your computer has the socket LGA 775. your only quad core CPU upgrade options are listed here.
the problem would be finding one cheap enough.

Hi there, I need some advice on getting a new processor for my PC. My one's getting pretty old and I don't have the cash to fork out for a new computer.

Here are my computer specs:
Model: ET1840, Acer, eMachines
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5700 @ 3.00GHz
RAM: 4GB
System: Windows 7, 64-bit

I need to find one that's both affordable but has a high clock speed. I'm not sure where to start looking to be honest. I'm not that much of a technical person.

What would you recommend would be best?

I know I will have to find one with a LGA1155 socket. Someone recommended me a an Intel Core 2 Quad processor but I can't find any with the right socket.

Is there any other alternative?
Your clock speed is already pretty decent, it's the architecture that will be different. In your case the only real upgrade options are listed in the previous posts link. Unfortunately finding these is sometimes difficult and might be costly.

What exactly are you doing with your PC? There might be other viable upgrade options.

I am Media Student and I'm going to be using some pretty heavy software (Adobe, Cinema 4D) for my Coursework. Another account is that I share my computer with my brother who likes play the latest games. He's paying for a new graphics card while I'm getting the processor.

He says that we're going to need a faster clockspeed, but honestly I don't know anything about that, just understand the basics. Any other advice on this would be helpful.

If it helps, my brother wants to get this graphics card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GT 630

Last edited:
Well, that GT 630 is going to suck for gaming, so having a higher clock speed wont help much.

Basically as we said, your only upgrade options are listed. You can get a Q9*** based quad core or an E8400 dual core. It has the same clock speed but the Core 2 is faster than the Pentium.

For heavier programs like that I would suggest getting a quad and I would look into getting an SSD as well. Costly upgrades, but the SSD can be carried over and will speed up the over all feel of your computer.

Back
Top Bottom