Need advice on components for gaming pc - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Need advice on components for gaming pc

Hey, I'm looking to build a new computer and I haven't really been up to date with all the new stuff that's been coming out but a friend of mine put together a bunch of components and from what I can tell it looks pretty good but I wanted your opinions on it. I'm mostly going to be gaming with this computer and I plan on having it for at least three-four years before replacing it. I want to be able to play all the current games out today (CoD4, etc) with no prob on high settings but also be able to keep up with the new games that will be comming out within the next few years. I'll be doing quite a bit of video editing (frapsing games with no lag would be nice) and other resource intensive things.

My budget is around $1000-1100, and i'd like your opinions on this rig. If you were building a computer for yourself what would you change here? Is the case good? Should I go with duo core instead (figured that the quad core would make it last longer as more applications will be developed to work with it)? Maybe it would be better to get a cheaper duo cpu and upgrade other components? The motherboard (I have no idea how to tell good ones from bad ones)? I already have a good power supply and sound card to use and I will include the OS in the price.

Case: - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
CPU: - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Motherboard: - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS4P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Video Card: - Palit XAE/48500+T352 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Ram: - mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Hard Drive: - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Cd/dvd drive: - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
Heatsink: - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
OS: - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - Operating Systems

These are the components I was recommended, please feel free to change them all if necessary.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 10-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to philbar71
Default Re: Need advice on components for gaming pc

every thing looks good. but if it were me then i'de get gtx 260 core 216 or a gtx 280
like this - EVGA 896-P3-1265-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
i think there are cheaper ones if that's too much

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

<<< i like rep :D
Old 10-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
I can't brain today

Why would you get a nvidia card, when his board supports crossfire for the future?

I would stick with the 4850 that he picked in the first place
"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right."
Old 10-09-2008, 10:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Awsome, is there seriously no changes you guys would personally do to those components? I've seen alot of good reviews on the 4850 and I figured I could always crossfire in the future as tom stated since it probably will be the first thing I would need to upgrade (or so im told!).

Im not so sure about the motherboard though, would love to hear some opinions.

Edit: Would this computer be able to fulfill my expectations?
Old 10-10-2008, 07:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo

This would be a better motherboard: - BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

And looks like you'll need a PSU: - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V &#47; EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Old 10-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

yes with gt's suggestions that is a fine build. and yes stick with the 4850 if you are buying a p45 mobo.
and this MSI's cooling is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than that palit's, and its cheaper AR: - MSI R4850-512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

"nagasama no longer drinks tecate, or streaks out of the night for anything, and he has a fine wife so he has no use for your girlfriend...she is safe..."
Closed Thread