Need advice on buying portable HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

wongb18c

In Runtime
Need a portable HD to go with laptop, I never bought or had experience buying external HD. Before buying I thought its best to ask on what to buy to meet my needs. Looking for around 80GB, can't be too big or heavy. Please, leave any suggestions.

I understand I can go online and search my self but its always better this way from experience.

Buy Desktop with plug-in hard drive

I am in the UK. I want to buy a desktop computer which has front removable hard drive facility. This is because I want to use XPpro on one drive, partitoned with 32 bit and 64 bit versions. and I need to be able to take this out and replace with Vista versions

I have tried some existing suppliers but all use 3 bay cases so tried bespoke assemblers and got negative responses

I am fed up with searching the internet and hope that someone can assist - I am not competent enough to assemble a computer and the best suggestion so far, was to have two computer systems!

Build it yourself!

I've had GREAT LUCK buying an inexpensive bare drive, like an 80GB 3.5" laptop drive, buying a separate enclosure for $20, and putting it together myself. I've built 2 for my house and one for a friend who travels a lot with her laptop.

If you can turn screws and properly plug in EIDE cables, you should look into a bare drive and enclosure.

Best of luck!

I repeat, I am not happy to build a system with video, audio. blue ray DVD, CD and power supply. I have a system with internal dual hard drives and it is a tedious process to replace these.

So I just hope that someone can guide me to somewhere appropriate.

I've never been impressed with IOGear. I personally like either Seagate, Western Digital, or Maxtor. I've had great luck with the three of them. Maxtor's One Touch series are pretty compact and light.

If you want ultra-portable, you may want to try Sony's MicroVault. I don't remember the storage capacity, but they are about the size of a deck of cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom