Need advice on Buying a new Computer and Monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Trick

Baseband Member
I want to buy a computer in the next 2-3 months. Currently I am looking at Dell.com and I like 2 computers and a monitor that I found on there and I can't decide on them. I won't be buying it yet, but its best to know what I'm looking at. Also, I don't know that much about the computers besides the very basics so I won't be offended if you guys consider me a noob.

Dell XPS 9000-

PROCESSORS- Intel® Core™ i7-975 processor Extreme Edition(8MB L3 Cache, 3.33GHz)

OPERATING SYSTEM- Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64bit, English

MEMORY- 12GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs

HARD DRIVE- 1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

OPTICAL DRIVE- Dual Drives: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner (Writes to DVD/CD/BD) and DVD+/-RW

VIDEO CARD- nVidia GeForce GTX 260 1792MB

SOUND CARD- Soundblaster® X-Fi™ Titanium

Total cost- $3,354

Dell XPS 8000-

PROCESSORS- Studio XPS 8000, Intel® Core™ i7-870 processor(8MB Cache, 2.93GHz)

OPERATING SYSTEM- Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64bit, English

MEMORY- 12GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 4 DIMMs

HARD DRIVE- 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

OPTICAL DRIVE- Dual Drives: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner (Writes to DVD/CD/BD) and DVD+/-RW

VIDEO CARD- nVidia GeForce GTX260 1792MB GDDR3

SOUND CARD- Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Total Cost- $2,851

The monitor is a 23" Dell SP2309W Full HD Monitor with Webcam

Dell SP2309W, 23" Full HD Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor with Webcam

If there are better computers somewhere outhere then please feel free to leave suggestions and comments.

I am just one clown's opinion, but yes to your question. I consider you an overpaying noob. jj. :tongue: If the money's there, hey, why not. In 2 months the technology could be different. With the kind of legal tender your dealing with I say 1st upgrade your gpu. Then go into your max. res and see what your new sli can push - to make an educated decision. Bare w\me tonight, too many hrs. trimn' windows and not enough budwiser.:confused:

Both of those builds are very overpriced. Whenever you buy pre-built, you end up losing money wise and in the product quality area. Have you considered purchasing the parts piece by piece yourself and assembling the computer? It's fairly easy, if you can put a lego set together then you can put together a computer no doubt about it. If you went that rout, you would save a ton of money and be able to get much better parts. It's win-win in the end, and you get a great feeling of accomplishment from building a monster machine from scratch. You won't need to go anywhere near even half your budget if you do decide to build your own.

building the computer yourself will save you a lot of $$

for example the build I'm planning, while not as flashy could match and maybe even beat thoes comps if I OC.

additionally , it'll end up costing me $600-700,

so you see a computer you build is can be much cheaper, and if you have a below $4000 budget trust me you can make a monster of a machine with the best of the best parts, and still have plenty of $$ left

Thanks for the advice guys, so with my budget, give me a overview or an example of what kind of computers I could build. Since you guys said I could make a very fast computer with that kind of money then what parts would I need?

Gaming and multimedia mostly, but also internet. Im going to get modern warfare 2 and I want to play it with the settings maxed out but I dont know what the requirements are for that. I will also be using it for school work sometimes. I will be listening to music A LOT! I need the best sound card that will fit in my budget. Also I have many blu-ray movies in my collection and I want to be able to play them on the computer. One quick question, if there is a blu-ray drive for a pc, does it also play regular CDs?

cpu & mb 1290 -mb has onboard sound
Memory x2 300
case 150
PS110
OS 175 OEM (3 copies)
HD110
Blue ray x2 400
GTX 260 200
Monitor200
Webcam 60
I tried to duplicate the first build. I would lose a blue ray and pic up another video card. I know there's "close to this speed" for less money, just trying to give you an example. Let other members critique this before purchasing anything off this list... Much better quality of peripherals doing one's own build. Best of all you'll have 2 more copies of w7 to use. Keep in mind, if down the road you replace the cpu or mb, you may need to use another copy of OEM for yourself.

^ why would he need 3 copies of w7? and 2 BR drives?

it wouldnt matter if you were going to buy it prebuilt or build it yourself, the i7 975 isnt worth its cost over just an i7 920, which would be plenty fast. plus it would reduce cost by a considerable amount.

both of those prebuilts are bad deals. you say you would mainly be using your pc for gaming and multimedia purposes (music and movies). for those uses, you would not be needing 12gigs of ram. plus, both the prebuilts come with slower 1066 ram. go with atleast 1333 or 1600mhz and up.

and with your budget, you would defenitely be able to squeeze in atleast a small ssd (solid state disk) which are much faster than regular hdd's, where you would store your OS and programs, and a much better gfx card like a 5870.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom