Need a 600$ budget computer build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris42

Beta member
So i need to get a computer for my brother but he doesn't play graphicly demanding games.
He plays things like puzzle pirates and runescape and searches things on the internet.
I need a whole computer because the one hes using has a very , very ugly monitor and the OS is missing.

So the budget is $600 for the:
Monitor
OS(has to be windows)
Hard drive
Mobo
CPU
GPU
PSU
Case
Ram
Disk Drive
(I think I'm missing something)

So can you guy's help me?

Ha. I got on here, saw that you said edit your build since you were in a rush, then BAM, it changed. No more X3.

I would go with all of what Zed the man said, but throw in Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies instead of the 550W.

I might even say go with onboard video and an Antec 380W. Save some power and cash if he's just doing flash stuff. I'll post links if anyone else thinks its a good idea.

EDIT: And maybe go with some 5-5-5-15 RAM (maybe even 2GB), and throw in $100 for Vista. With a diff mobo w/ onboard vid, an Antec 380w, and cheaper ram, Vista thrown in there should almost equal out to what youre at right now.

No one needs to buy an OS when they can get Server 08 for free. (You must know someone who goes to school).

And yeah sorry Otis but as i was logging off, i said to myself: "No. You must complete the build, never have you left a build half complete." Haha.

And yeah X3 is too expensive compared to a high overclockable E5200 at less than $70... That and the fact i didnt see he needed a monitor and needed to shave off another $110... Which isnt easy. Also every time someone recommends an X3, Hikaricloud gets an erection and we cant EVER be the cause of one of those. lol.

Hey, thanks for being such a nice guy, zed. ;D

For this build, an x3 720 is too expensive. Even though it's highly overclockable itself, zed. ;) With a monitor AND an OS (since the average user shouldn't have to deal with Server 08), it's way out of budget.

The only reason I'm going to recommend something besides that build you have there (which, by the way, is a nice build) is because with the games he plays, an onboard 3200/3300 chipset would be more than enough for runescape and other games. It will save him some money. Also, I somehow doubt there's going to be overclocking.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Foxconn A7GM-S 2.0 AM2+ / AM3 Ready AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1 - LCD Monitors
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

$610.30 after shipping, minus 10 bucks in an MIR. So the end total is $600.30.

I went with this X2 7750 build. It has a combo deal with the Antec 300, so that's a no brainer.

The mobo is AM3 ready, would only need a BIOS flash, so it has upgradeability options, plus it has the onboard 3200 which will be plenty for the gaming his brother does.

4gb of RAM is cheap nowadays, no reason not to get it. You could spend an extra 7 bucks and get PI Blacks, but you don't need to.

You only need a good 400w PSU to run all this. I'm currently running a not-so-great 420w PSU with 2 HDDs, an x3 720, 2 disk drives, 3 fans, etc, and I'm still going strong. 400w will be plenty.

You can shave 5 bucks and get a 320gb HDD, but a 500gb will be a nice 5 dollar investment.

DVD-Burner, that's a no-brainer.

Now with this build, by still keeping it around 600 bucks, I was able to throw in a nice 22" monitor AND an OS. So you get a bigger monitor with a higher resolution, plus Vista SP1 64-bit.

Integrated ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 3200 GPU
Supports HDMIâ„¢ Technology with max. resolution up to 1920 x 1200 (1080P)
Supports DVI with max. resolution up to 1600x1200 @60Hz
Supports D-Sub with max. resolution up to 2560x1440 @ 75Hz
Hybrid CrossFireXâ„¢ Support (For Windows Vista only)
HDMI/DVI/RGB Support
Supports Microsoft® DirectX 10, OpenGL 2.0, Pixel Shader 4.0
Maximum shared memory of 256MB

It will be fine. ;)

For a starter with light gaming it is great. Not to mention you can add a 3450 or 3470 and run hybrid crossfire if you want to up your gaming at a later point in time.

Edit: thanks hikaricloud

Actually, you can only really do it with a 2400 or a 3450/3470. But with a 3450, you nearly double your performance in games.

And with my onboard 3300, I play Fallout 3 at a lower reso with medium settings, and it plays great, and still looks fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom