mystery computer chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.

petris

Baseband Member
I have an ASUS P5LD2-VM motherboard. I purchased it inside a year ago. A few weeks ago it started to wig. I thought it was a virus but it appears to be more serious. Things were freezing up with no ryhme or reason. So I wiped the hard drive and started over. I noticed that both my removable storage drives were missing from the my computer drop down. I rebooted and they were back. About twenty minutes later I was sitting in the vicinity and I heard them click. When I checked my computer again they were gone again. I thought it might be the power supply so I switched the leads to two other extra leads that weren't being used. I thought the problem had been solved, and then an extra floppy drive "B" appeared. I didn't even know you could have a "B". Anyway this seems pretty serious. I'm thinking its more of a hardware problem than a software. I'm hoping someone out there who has suffered a similar quandry or someone who just knows what is wrong can help get me back in the saddle. Thanks.

I have never heard of that before, I would think that it is more than likely hardware, may want to try a new PSU.

Super sluthing 101

The sound you speak of is typical of a bad Hard drive. How old is it? Is it under warranty?

First thing I would do is elminate all of the variables.

Disconnect all extra externals and internal devices including the floppy drive and extra hard drives and cd rom.

Then boot with only the main hard drive (the one with your OS loaded on it) and see how it runs (leave it on for a while).

Make sure your CPU fan comes on and that the power supply fan is working.

If you hear the clicking noise again, try to put your hand on the HD while you hear the noise.

If it feels like it is coming from the HD, change it out, reconnect your CD-ROM drive and re-load a new hard drive.

Start there and get back to me.

could be a powersupply problem check all of the connections in back of the hard disk, my computer did this and is was purely the HDD power cord was loose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom