Is my tower and PSU upgradable?
Hi I have several questions regarding the same tower that I have, an 8 yr old Gateway. I am looking at the possibility of using some of the components in a new build, that could be replaced at a little later date.
1. The case, not a full size the current mobo is a micro atx, has a vent on one side 3" by 7" and 2 fan vents on the back. Is this enough flow thru for todays components?
2. The PSU is newer 1 to 2 yrs old model ATX 450w P4, +5v 35a, +12v 16a, -12v .8a, 3.3v 24a, +5vsb 3a, any good for running todays computers?
3. What I am looking at to upgrade to is a dual core, most likely AMD, Win 7 64 bit.
We do a lot of online gaming, office programs, and some picture publishing programs. I am biasing our current needs off a newer computer that we have that is able to handle our needs pretty well a Intel Core 2 Duo E6550-2.33ghz and 2 gig ram(also to be upgraded to win 7 64bit).
4. The dvd write drive works well and I believe is a ide as it has a wide white ribbon.
5. The HD also replaced within a few months of the PSU above, IDE also same ribbon, 80 gig only half full currently.
Sorry I am just looking at all of the options available to us as for our phones I would like to keep the same OS and close to the same programs on all 3, as we are getting a laptop, and upgrading the newer computer at the same time. However not sure on the old gateway if it is something worth doing now or not.
Thank You for your time and let me know what other info you need.