My Rig + What Should I Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinsil

Baseband Member
I built my PC at the end of 07 on a semi-tight budget.. but I think I did a great job at the time. I did later upgrade the video card and I capped out my RAM so those are listed as what I have now.

Here's what I made:
250 GB Seagate HD, Windows XP 32 bit, 3.3gig DDR2 800 RAM (I think this is the hard cap for 32 bit XP, but 4gb total)
My Motherboard
Radeon 4870 Video Card
My Case
My CPU which I have OCed to 2.5ghz
My PSU

Anyways, this is what I have right now. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade my CPU to say like one of these: Option 1 (2.93ghz Duo) or Option 2 (2.6ghz Duo).

I'd like to know 1) If my PSU would support that upgrade (I think it would).. and 2) If it's even worth it at this point, not sure what kinda performance increase I'd see upgrading the CPU.

I know my OS is possibly a bit behind the times, but I do have plan to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit, I just haven't got around to it yet because I'd have to wipe my whole HD, need to back it up or something first.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any advice. :D

Here's the list of compatible CPUs for your board:
Universal abit > CPU Support List

If you can swing it, you could go with a quad.

As for your PSU, check out the PSU guide here on Tech-Forums. It will let you know what is good and what is garbage. A solid PSU is a must. You have a 550W; a better CPU won't draw much more than what you already have so you are good as far as wattage goes.

Once you use 7 you won't want to go back to XP. ;)

Okay so more like this for a CPU?

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E6300 Wolfdale 2.8GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80571E6300

I'm interested in what kind of increase I'd see by upgrading to something like this over the stock 2.0 one I have OCed to 2.5 right now. Worth the $80?

Also, why are some of the Core 2's on that list not listed? They look like they'd be compatible.. can't see any reason they wouldn't be. For example, the two I put in the original post.. According to that list they wouldn't work??

Ty for the help.

They are Wolfdales which is a different architecture. Same for the chip you linked to above. They may work, but then again they probably wouldn't.

The E6300 your mobo can run is a 1.86GHz chip.

Depends on your budget. I would go for a quad if at all possible.

When comparing chips, try to remember that you can only compare GHz when the chips use the same core/architecture. Different architectures can be much more efficient that others, with the newer being much faster per clock cycle than the old.

The IP35-E does support wolfdales and yorkfields however only the initial revisions (C0, M0, E0) are supported since abit wet out of business before the current revision (R0) of the low end chips was released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom