My parents are thinking about buying a newer computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiker123

Beta member
I'm a big gamer so I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a computer better than the Windows 98 I have now. Price range would probably be anything under $600.

Are you intending to build this computer, or are you looking to buy direct? If you are buying direct, I would look at hand build PCs by companies, dont bother with the likes of dell, although if youre building, then I would look on www.newegg.com (if youre American, which i assume you are with the dollars)

Ruan

Edit: Didn't notice your Location!! newegg it is!

do you plan on using anything from the old computer? optical drives, Hard drives, keyboard, mouse, etc... That willl help you budget, but do you want to buy or build?

Assuming that you have monitor, keyboard, and mouse, check out Best Buy's sales. Here's a couple of decent base systems:

Compaq Presario Media Center
$449.99
AMD 3700+
1GB PC3200 DDR
DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Windows XP Media Center Edition
250GB Serial ATA hard drive
1 PCI-E x16
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7826695&type=product&id=1142298464740
Pop in a graphics card and you're good to go.

Gateway GT4016
$499.99
AMD 3700+
1GB PC3200 DDR
DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Windows XP Media Center Edition
200GB Hard Drive
1 PCI-E x16
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7739879&type=product&id=1140392808326
Same thing... add a graphics card and you're set.

not bad systems at all for beying prebuilt lol.. just erase all the trial software and all the other imbedded stuff and get maybea 6xxx series card and you'll be set like trotter said :D

250 GB SATA just isn't cutting it

LOL... funny. I'm running with 80 gigs on a gaming rig. My old comp (now my wife's/family comp) is running on a 160 gig.

250 is a lot of space, unless you plan on ripped your entire movie collection or something.

I have x1 200GB Seagate, my 37GB Raptor, and a Maxtor 80Gb (Always broken, so it doesnt count) And I like to have all my music lossless, which I got off a friend, I also like Family Guy, so theres a bunch of that on there too, and I havent ever filled up my drive. I also keep all my games as disc images, and under that budget 250GB is prefectly adequate, if there is a problem, just delete something! its not exactly a hardship!

Very respectable builds there will last for a while with that budget, hope he doesnt want an LCD!

Trotter said:
LOL... funny. I'm running with 80 gigs on a gaming rig. My old comp (now my wife's/family comp) is running on a 160 gig.

250 is a lot of space, unless you plan on ripped your entire movie collection or something.

I guess I'm just crazy. I have two 250gb's, a 300gb, a 60gb and a 40gb.

Don't worry, a full backup of all my data is like 50gb :eek:

Anyone want some harddrives? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom