My own Media Center PC - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2006, 12:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to kizzeith
Default My own Media Center PC

I came home to my parent's house for xmas and I'm here all week. They recently shelled out a good amount of $ to get a 40" sony LCD TV with a crazy surround sound Sony "dream theater" system.

I have been here since saturday and tonight I finally realized that this thing is a monitor at heart, so I dragged out ther PC (which was not setup due to remodeling) and set this thing up and it is ridiculously awesome.

Anywyas, I got to thinking, they NEED to have a PC hooked up to this thing, no way around it. I would feel so guilty letting this thing serve only as a TV.

ANYWAYS, I was just reading about XP Media Center Edtion 2005 for the first time. It seems pretty sweet but No way could I actually have someone in my family BUY a pre assembled PC, which seems to be the only way you can get MCE (according to microsoft's website.)

So my question is, what could I add to this beast (other than MOBO/CPU) to make it a custom "Media Center" machine?

Current Specs:
Windows XP Pro SP 2
AMD something or another @ 1.8 ghz
Microstar 2 MOBO (my old one, dont remember exact specs)
512 MB DDR2
30 gb hdd
300 watt PSU
GE Force 2 MX (its my old card)
Wireless PCI card (House has wireless router)

OBviously a TV tuner is in line for recording purposes, along with a bigger HDD. I'm thinking wireless mouse/keyboard since the TV is mounted on the wall. Can you purchase a Remote Control for your PC?

Any other Suggestions? The main reason im so excited about this is because I am going to buy myself a similar setup in a few months.

Thanks In advance!

PS I wish I could play some Cstrike source here!

Gateway Machine - I know...I sold out...if I could do it over I'd have built like I used to :(
MS Vista Premium 32-bit
AMD Phenom (9500) Quad-core Processor 2.20 ghz
500GB hard drive
2 Free PCI-E slots x1
1 Free PCI-E x16
Old 12-28-2006, 02:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
There and Back again

I would think adding another stick of RAM would do good. Of course a bigger drive and TV Tuner... you could look into the keyboard by Adesso. I have it and it is very good.

depending on what kind of resolution your card gets you might want to bumo up the video, or maybe get one of the X800/X1300/X1900 ATI All-in-Wonder cards...

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70
NZXT Source 530 / i7-3770K / Corsair H100 / ASRock Z77 Extreme4 / SoundBlaster Recon3d
Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD/Seagate 1TB/2TB/WD 2TB
4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 / PNY GTX 980 ti/ Seasonic M12II 850W
Old 12-28-2006, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

all in wonder cards are hard to find now as the newest ones have been discontinued i was going to try exactly the same thing as you using an all in wonder radeon 1900 but I couldnt find any.

Closed Thread