My graphics card says "crossfire enabled" But cannot use a crossfire cable? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question My graphics card says "crossfire enabled" But cannot use a crossfire cable?

Hi there! I am currently using a graphics card : Gigabyte Radeon R7 250 2GB Video Card (GV-R725O5-2GI) - PCPartPicker , and I am planning on upgrading soon. I want to buy another one of these to crossfire, and on pcpartpicker it claims I can use crossfire (as you could see from the link), however on the card there are no gold connectors to use for crossfire. Can I buy another one of these cards and somehoe use it with crossfire? Would I have to do more than just plug in the other card, and go? If so, please tell me. If anyone could help me, it would be very appreciated. Thanks.

-Gabe

cheaptrick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: My graphics card says "crossfire enabled" But cannot use a crossfire cable?

Depends on your motherboard. If you have a motherboard that supports Crossfire then yes it will link with another card. The newer AMD cards utilize Crossfire over the PCI-E interface.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default My graphics card says "crossfire enabled" But cannot use a crossfire cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Depends on your motherboard. If you have a motherboard that supports Crossfire then yes it will link with another card. The newer AMD cards utilize Crossfire over the PCI-E interface.

Thank you! I was looking and I was seeing mixed answers. I thought that my card was the equivalent to a Radeon 7550, and amd says that it does not require a crossfire cable. I guess I am right.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: My graphics card says "crossfire enabled" But cannot use a crossfire cable?

This is an older post, however I just wanted to say; I have made the upgrade, and using both cards without a cable works with crossfire! Thanks guys!

-Gabe

Tags
crossfire, crossfirex, gpu, graphics card