My first PC build... Help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreckoner

Beta member
Hi guys!

I've been interested in building my own gaming PC lately as I have heard that it is considerably cheaper... I have about £1000-1200 to spend and I would love to be able to play upcoming games like Skyrim and BF3 on the highest settings possible, and not have to worry about upgrading for a few years... I put this build together but I am such a noob to this that I'm not sure I have done a good job and I would love it if you could tell me where I could save money or if I'm spending too much on something that isn't what I need... I put 2 GTX 580's in as I've seen that SLI greatly improves performance?

Also... will I need to buy extra things to actually build the PC?

Thanks in advance for the help :)

You don't need to post pictures. We know what the stuff is. ;)

I'm not sure what your budget is, and what the prices are over there, but look for these differences:

HDD, get a 1TB Western Digital Black. A lot faster.

RAM, Get G.Skill RipJaws. It is much recommended here. Get the 1600 speed if you plan to overclock.

Case, I would just browse the CoolerMaster HAF cases. They are worth it. :)

Everything looks good to me. The only thing I would suggest is holding off on buying the second GTX 580.
Currently 1 will max any game out right now, and it is likely that 1 will max BF3. However if it is not the case you can always get the second one once you've had a chance to run BF3, and by that time the price will have dropped on them a little.
Also, from guru3d.com:
GeForce GTX 580
On your average system the card requires you to have a 650 Watt power supply unit.

GeForce GTX 580 in SLI
A second card requires you to add another 250 Watts. You need a 900+ Watt power supply unit if you use it in a high-end system (1 KiloWatt recommended if you plan on any overclocking).

And I think MoM just agreed that the Samsung Spinpoint F3 is a good drive with that review link:
Results Analysis
There's only one way to say it – the Samsung Spinpoint F3 is the fastest hard disk drive we've ever had the pleasure of testing here at bit-tech, having ripped through our benchmarks like a butchers knife through wet loo roll.

Thanks so much for the advice :) I was actually re thinking getting the two 580s... It is pretty costly, and now that you've told me there's probably no need I decided to just go for the one, which makes my budget a bit healthier! I looked for the RipJaws but couldn't find it on this site and would much prefer getting everything all at once...

Here's what I have now then... What do you reckon? I will probably get a new monitor aswell as I won't be able to use the one I have at the moment as I am moving country. Any reccomendations on well priced 22" monitors?

Also, about overclocking... I have heard so much about it but I wouldn't know where to begin, does performance increase a lot and is it worth looking up once I actually build this? Thanks again!

Overclocking will increase performance and is worth looking up, but keep in mind overclocking does void your warranties on items that are OC'd.
Just make sure you do your research before jumping in.

Also, make sure you have room for that case. A lot of people buy full-tower cases and don't realize just how big they really are.

Overclocking will increase performance and is worth looking up, but keep in mind overclocking does void your warranties on items that are OC'd.
Just make sure you do your research before jumping in.

Also, make sure you have room for that case. A lot of people buy full-tower cases and don't realize just how big they really are.

I've never had a warranty voided for overclocking any component nor has anyone ever asked about it when I applied for a RMA. If you physically modify a component, like lapping the cpu, then that will void the warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom