My first CPU build, input anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

james.wired

Equator Gringo
I posted a thread a couple of days ago about a graphics card update, only to find myself asking more and more about compatability issues..so I figured that I might as well build myself a new computer so I do not have to worry about that! My resources lay in Panama, and there is but one good store here that carries decent products consistantly. I will list, please please give me some input or suggestions on if I have a good idea of what I am trying out as far as compatibility and performance! I am also going for something that doesn't empty my wallet completely haha.

Case: Thermaltake Matrix VD2000BNS
Mobo: Biostar GF8200
Power: Cooler Master eXtreme Power 500W , not sure if I need more power?
Processer: two choices because I am not sure if the $100 difference for the phenom is worth it?:confused: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.2GHz (Windsor) or AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz (Black Edition)
Graphics card: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4850
Cooling: Thermaltake MaxOrb
I already have some starter memory (1x 2gb SDDR2 667MHZ), hard drive (Seagate 160gb), and disc drive (Samsung DVDR, CDR etc)
price for CPU with AMD x2 6400+ 3.2GHZ processor: $631.90
price for CPU with AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHZ processor: $719.40

So what do you guys think for a newbie builder??

to be completely honest and noobish:laughing: I'm not sure what sort of mods I could do to it...but probably not, I would rather spend the extra money for a different one but I just didn't want anything toooo crazy looking haha. Is the issue the size of the box? honest newbie here!!

I do suggest getting E7300 or E8400 which are better gaming processors. You can also get Q6600 if you want quad core

E7300 = $120
E8400 = $160
Q6600 = $190

vs

X2 6000+ = $76
Phenom 9950 = $170

The Q6600 might be a better choice if overclocking was involved, but the AMD chips will bring it in a lot cheaper.

I have discovered that, outside of the performance circle here and other geek sites, most people cannot "see" the difference in speeds of the chips. A few frames per second are not noticeable to the unaided human eye.

Actually q6600 can't clock for crap anymore :D

Try to find a 780g board and buy either a Phenom X3 or a Brisbane Athlon X2

Phenom 9950 outperforms the current batch of Q6600's and at a cheaper price.

While I still wouldn't touch the 9950 with Deneb coming out only a month away.

Some of the X4's consume 65 watts. Others like the 9650 and 9550 use 95. After the 9650 though every other chip is 125 Watts or higher.

Also Triple Cores don't offer enough performance increase to warrant the price. Get a decent X2 or X4 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom