My First Build - Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dman25

Beta member
Hi all, i've been reading lately on this forum and have found some useful information, i was wondering if you can help me with my first build.

My budget is < $700 and i need everything from a monitor, keyboard, and probably vista 64 bit, case, etc. soup to nuts

I think i want intel and a dedicated video card (mid to low end).

This will be used mostly for web surfing, lots of photo video storage, listening to music (don't need a dedicated sound card), multitasking, etc. will be doing some light video editing and no gaming and no overclocking. i really want to be able to upgrade more with more HD space over time

thanks for the help!

Case: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-SKN2-GP Black / Silver Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Mobo: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Video Card: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100253L Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
PSU: Newegg.com - Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply - Power Supplies
RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Hard Drive: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Optical: Newegg.com - LG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner w/ SecurDisc Tech - CD / DVD Burners
OS: Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems
Monitor: Newegg.com - Acer X193Wb Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2000:1 ACM - LCD Monitors
Keyboard/Mouse: Newegg.com - Logitech Internet 350 Black 104 Normal Keys 8 Function Keys USB Standard Desktop - Keyboards

Total with shipping: $710 (plus $30 MIR, so $680 after all said and done)

Plenty to suit your needs. Has plenty of room for HDD expansion and plenty of power for future video card, cpu, or hard drive upgrades.

Thanks for the suggestions, no real specifics for the monitor, just a good value and a big screen, 19+ in. Is it worth getting a non-micro atx motherboard, I don't know the difference...

I probably will also get a camera card reader thing and a wireless keyboard, but I can pick those out I think. Is that a solid processor? Seems a good value...

Yeah it is a great CPU. For your needs a microATX board is plenty. The only benefits of an ATX motherboard would be more DIMM slots and possibly a few more SATA connectors. Right now you have enough for 4 SATA devices if you use the microATX board I listed. That means either 1 optical drive and 3 hard drives, or some other mix of 4 devices can be used. If you think you'll need more, look for a different motherboard.

The rest of the parts I would say are about perfect for your price range and needs. The monitor is a great quality Acer 19", which is about the largest screen you will be able to get given your budget.

The only problem I've had with my mATX board is I'm clean out of pci slots. Got a TV tuner, a firewire card, and a wifi card and I'm out.

Other than that...it really is nice to use an mATX case...alot smaller and easier to move around.

Good point to consider. I don't plan on firewire, but I'm considering 1 for the video card via PCI-E 2.0 (hopefully doesn't cover a spare PCI) and also a wireless desktop card. Maybe a sound card down the road...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom