My First Build(please help~)

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Tofu~

Baseband Member
well as i have mentioned earlier in the year I'm going to make my first computer woot woot~!
Here is my build-the money is in AUS
Seagate Barracuda ES ST3250620NS 250GB
$50​
INTEL CORE i7 920 2.66GHz CPU
$300​
Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
$69​
Asus ATI HD4830
$130​
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-DS4
$245​
Cooler Master 690
$115​
COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-550-PCAR 550W
$70​
Linton DVD-RW
$21​

These prices can be found on Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Now time for help.
I have heard that i would need the following things
-Thermo paste
-Anti Static strap

Would it be advised to by the case that comes with the power supply
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKR7-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 650W Power Supply - Computer Cases
($170)
or buy it separately

I am considering to partition my hard drive into 2 (100Gb for "C" and 150 for "E")is it again a good idea to buy two HD or just one would fine (just encase one fails).

This is also my first time using SATA HD i don't really know anything about it even though i read the Wiki version i still don't quite understand can someone please explain it. Like whats the difference between IDE and SATA

OMG the motherboard only supports DDR3
I don't really get the 1333 and 1066 thing...i have heard that it changes the overclocking adaptation.

Thanks for any comment and help. =D

ram speeds will be needed for overclocking.. if ur not gonna overclock.. ur fine with some ddr3 1333

don't look at dual channel kits (2x1gb) look for tri channel kits (3x1gb)

and partitioning a single hard drive should suit you just fine... i usually do the very same thing

ram speeds will be needed for overclocking.. if ur not gonna overclock.. ur fine with some ddr3 1333

don't look at dual channel kits (2x1gb) look for tri channel kits (3x1gb)

and partitioning a single hard drive should suit you just fine... i usually do the very same thing

hum...i see thanks but i don't think that i need that much ram since the only thing big i would be running now would be like BF2

why would you not by 3x1 gb?!?!?! new 3x1 gb kits are cheap and all run 1600mhz at only 1.6v ..which should be turning into new jedec standard or something like that with 1600mhz sticks

it'd be plain dumb to go with dual channel when tri channel is on the table and offers much more bandwidth

nos is absolutely right... to take full advantage of DDR3 and the new i7 architecture, a triple channel kit is needed, so grab either the OCZ Gold PC3-12800 or G.Skill PC3-12800 3GB kit...

dont get a case that includes a PSU... they're generally unreliable as many manufacturers skimp on this side of things... so if you're gonna spend $70 on a PSU, get a Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

as for thermal paste, get some MX-2 or AS5, as they'll perform best

yes but you will want to overclock and possbily run multiple gpu's (if not then why are you going with first gen I7?)
I'm going for i7 not because of overclocking. It because of its new socket 1366
I'm planning to use this computer like for another i say 5~7 years. By then i think core 2 would be out of date and so would i7 be flashed out soon. Thats why i got the motherboard. This would help me change new CPUs when i need to. Because this is the start of the new model of 1366 right? I'm guessing intel won't replace this socket anytime soon

For the Ram yeah maybe i'll reconsider getting DD3 3GB
i mean its only another $10~$30 maximum to get another Gb

Thanks guys for the help so far =D appreciate it

nos is absolutely right... to take full advantage of DDR3 and the new i7 architecture, a triple channel kit is needed, so grab either the OCZ Gold PC3-12800 or G.Skill PC3-12800 3GB kit...

dont get a case that includes a PSU... they're generally unreliable as many manufacturers skimp on this side of things... so if you're gonna spend $70 on a PSU, get a Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

as for thermal paste, get some MX-2 or AS5, as they'll perform best

hum...ok sorry about this but i just realized something are the power supplies needed for PCI-e graphic cards is different to the on for PCI graphic cards? Because right now i'm using a 7600 and it looks like theres a **** lot of a change from the one i'm using right now (O.O)
As for SLI and Cross fire ready i don't think i would be needing these. Since i'm not really a hard core gamer or anything i just want to so that it doesn't look like lego first person shooting.

and yeah thermo paste not a big difference right? so i guess i'll get the cheaper one AS5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom