My first build! Help me make it a good one :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake2k

In Runtime
So like the title says this is my first build, I have a very basic knowledge of this stuff so I'm gonna need some help so I don't screw anything up haha. I'll be using this computer for art(Photoshop CS2, Cinema 4D, etc.), web browsing, and watching videos/listening to music plus I'm a big multi-tasker. I'm alright at putting them together but I need help picking out the right parts, I've picked out a few parts already so it's a start:

Mother Board/CPU - XFX MG-63MI-7109/Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180 Processor 2.0GHz

RAM - OCZ DFI Special Edition Dual Channel 1024MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory

HDD - Samsung HD502IJ SpinPoint F 500GB

Case - Cooler Master NV 690

Is this a good start? Thanks for any info :D

P.S. I don't want to spend any money on a graphics card since this ist gonna be a gaming rig

Use Newegg.

I would change your cpu to a q6600, since your a big multi tasker: Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors

Get at least 2 gig of ram, if not 4gig. It will help a lot with the multi tasking, and if your getting vista will make it perform better.

2gig: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

4gig: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Change the hard drive to: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Case is your choice.

You probably want a graphics card if your doing photoshop etc. You can get a cheap one that will help your computer a lot for $30-$50.

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100233L Radeon HD 3450 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Maybe someone can recommend a good motherboard.

Thanks for the recommendations but for the sake of me learning could you tell me why these parts are better then the ones I selected?

The quad core will allow more multi-tasking because their are 4 cores to do operations on. I'm not sure I agree with Redmo0n on getting a Q6600 over a E2180, but it depends on how much multi-tasking you really want to accomplish. You're obviously saving a lot of money bo going with the latter.

1GB of RAM is not sufficient these days to do much of the higher end stuff, so you'll want 2GB. If you get 4GB and want to use all of it, you'll have to look into having a 64-bit operating system.

I agree with the hard drive choice by Redmo0n - it's a newer and better hard drive than the one you picked out. But I don't know enough about it to say specifically why it's better.

For the case, just make sure that it has enough ventilation so that things don't burn up if you're doing intense computations/graphics stuff.

Oh, and as for using Newegg vs. TigerDirect, you can look at the E2180 on Newegg:
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors
It's way cheaper.

thanks, I was just looking at parts on tigerdirect I wasnt planning on buying them from there unless they were cheaper ;) and for the ram I was gonna double up on the one that I linked to.

Now as far as the mother board and cpu at first I did want a quad core but the price tag threw me off, so is that bundle that I picked out any good? Its the same chip that you recommended and the mother board looks to have a decent built in video card thing (whatever thats called haha) .

Well if you multi task like photoshop, music, messenger, maybe internet and some other stuff you should look at the quad core.

If your looking to only get a dual core then maybe look at a e7200 since it has a bit more power.

If you do a lot of multi-tasking like you said, a Q6600 will be perfect for you.

And if you are doing a lot of photoshopping/graphic-wise things on your computer, I'd highly recommend a video card.

I was trying to keep the mother board and cpu under $200 altogether so I think a quad core would be a little out of my price range right now. Also for the sake of keeping the price down im gonna leave out the gfx card for now, if I feel I need one later on then I'll get one. So are Newegg and Tigerdirect the only places I should be looking at for parts?

Another thing does anyone have a Cooler Master 690 here cause I'd really like to know a couple of things before I get it ;)

---------------------------------------------

Here's my new list so far:

XFX MG-63MI-7109 Motherboard CPU Bundle - Intel Core 2 Duo E4700 Processor 2.60GHz OEM

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Cooler Master 690

Total price= $380 (-shipping and tax)

Now all I need is a good optical drive, power supply, mouse, keyboard, and a 22" flatpanel moniter :D

Mouse and keyboards, any generic ones will do unless you're a gamer of course. Then I would recommend the higher end Logitech Laser mouse's. Otherwise, Microsoft makes great wireless optical or laser grade mice. I have two myself.

You don't need a lot of high powered or high performance device with that setup you have. I would go with something simple and cost effective like this:

Newegg.com - Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX Power Supply 115/ 230 V - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - Open Box: ViewSonic X Series VX2240W Black-Silver 22" 2msDVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1, 4000:1 (DC)

The monitor is open box, but it's a **** good monitor at the same time!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom