My First Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nbot bad BUT spend the extra for the K r drop to the 2500k _> which is even a better idea for 75% of users

Green drives re slooooooow,m get a 1.5 T and a 500 Gig black.

You don't need 16Gigs of ram 8 is way more than 85% of users.

You need a power supply, a 550W Corsair or Antec will be great.

Other than that.
Its great ;)

Post up your budget and we can optimie you.

Welcome to tf.

It actually makes sense to get a non-K with an H67 since they aren't an overclockers board anyway. Though I would certainly suggest a z68 and K version so you can OC if you choose.

Also, what is the computer primarily going to be used for?

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I am only 17 years old; I consider myself to be above a novice with computers, however I am ignorant to such techniques as overclocking. I have read a little about it but I do not plan to do that because I do not want to risk over-heating. I did not mention a PSU because the case I am looking at comes with a 550W. I plan to use this computer through college and I will be using it for downloading (music, movies, torrents, etc.) As far as applications, I will be using microsoft office, photoshop, etc. Maybe some gaming, but nothing serious. Like I said, I am only 17, so I have a fairly low budget ($750 max) but I would like a computer that will not be terribly outdated when I graduate college (2016). Oh yeah, I will be running win7 home prem. 64 bit, because it can access 16GB of memory.

I looked at the link to that case, and on Newegg, I don't see the 550W PSU that comes with it.
Also, do you need to factor in Windows 7 to the budget?

I love Intel, but @$750 you may be better off with AMD.

Using what you're looking for + Paton's input I'd suggest:
CPU + RAM: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T + 8GB Corsair Vengeance low profile.
MB + GPU: MSI 870A-G54 + MSI Hawk HD 5770.
HDD (x2): 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3.
ODD: Lite-On BluRay/DVD/CD Burner.
PSU: OCZ ModxStream Pro 500W.
Case: Sentey Black Box 4284 v2.1.

Total = $760 ($5 more than your 1st post), minus $55 in rebates.

You were absolutely correct about the PSU, I did find this case which I am certain comes with a PSU. Amazon.com: 10-Bay ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/550W 20+4-pin PSU (Black/Red): Electronics is there anything wrong with it? I am trying to build the best computer I can for as little as possible. Your suggestion was ~$100 more than my original idea. The main differences were the switch to AMD, adding a GPU, and removing half of the ram. Is there a significant difference between AMD and Intel? Also, the hard drive, I will never use anywhere near 2TB, probably not even 500GB. Should I still make the small stretch to 2TB? And my idea for 2 HDDs was to put the OS/programs on one and media on the other, is this even helpful?

Your suggestion was ~$100 more than my original idea.
I clicked on each link you posted, used my trusty orange calculator, and came to a $755 total.
Rounding to the nearest dollar, 40 + 294 + 85 + 100 + (78 x 2) + 80 = $755
My suggestion was $760, with $45 more worth of rebates, not sure where this ~$100 is coming from.

Intel is faster than AMD (i7 2600K VS 1090T) but also ~$125 more expensive.
Since you specifically said you'll be using Photoshop lets take a closer look at that
CS4 Retouch Artists Speed Test benchmark there is a 7 second difference, up to you if its worth $125.

Halved the RAM because its twice the price for something you will likely not utilize based on what you said this build was for.

Added a GPU because you "might do some gaming" and integrated graphics will have you pulling out your hair.

You can just get 1x 1TB drive and partition off an OS/program section and leave the rest for storage.

It was just a suggestion, if you prefer your original build then go for it.

I am very sorry Roark, I definitely miscalculated somewhere. I have changed pretty much my entire selection.
I definitely will not be overclocking. I have decided that I will not be gaming. Here is my new build with an accurate cost of $573 including shipping (Way cheaper).
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - HEC Blitz Black Steel Edition ATX Mid Tower Computer Chassis Gaming Case w/ Front Blue LED 120mm Fan & Top 120mm Fan
Newegg.com - RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular LED Power Supply
Newegg.com - Recertified: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Amazon.com: Intel Core i7-2600 Processor 3.4GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155: Electronics
I chose not to get an ODD because I can boot from USB and I can take a DVD +/- RW drive from a desktop that we are about to retire.
Thanks so much for all of your help and sorry for my ignorance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom