my cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark knlght

Baseband Member
my cpu is an intel pentium 4 and i was wondering how much it could take. I bought a package but i fried the motherboard with the cpu inside it still so i was wondering if that would damage it and if it wouldn't could puting it into a differentkind of motherboard hurt it cause im told that their are different type of pentium 4's, true? if it is i think mine is a 333mhz. if it is fried also should i take this opertunity to replace it with a better one.

What are the Ghz of the processor? I dont think they made Pentium 4's in 333 Mhz, only Pentium 2 came in that speed :p

ya i have no clue about overclocking and i have no buisness building a pc but someone convinced me to. i just need to know if should replace my cpu.

I'm not sure. A 3.06 GHz Pentium 4 is a pretty good processor. But if you think it's fried, I would not take chances in putting it in another motherboard, as you might ruin that too.

Not too sure here, but I don't know if he is looking to OC this.... Looks like he POSSIBLY fried it trying to OC, not sure though.

dark knlght, Basically, the key to look for is the SOCKET type. Pentium 4's use either a Socket 478 or LGA 775 socket type. As long as you get the CORRECT socket, you can use the CPU in any motherboard that supports that socket.

If you ARE trying to overclock, as stated, you probably shouldn't... you should take a week or two, and read read read... as MANY informative posts as you can at different forums and whatnot. Overclocking isn't as easy as just picking different numbers, and HOPEING it works, you can seriously damage hardware doing that....

As far as if the processor is fried, should you replace it with a better one... that is COMPLETELY up to you... Do you have a new motherboard already? Is there a budget? What is the purpose of the riig? A few different factors, in which you have to deciede what the use will be, and how much you are willing to spend.

well i have the mobo and i already tried the old cpu in it and it didnt work. i know that the are compatible with each other and that the cords are conected corectly. when i turn it on though my moniter wont pick up the signal and my front red light comes on which is only suposed to hapen when i am transfering data. as for the purpose i just need to do basic things for school, play music, and i want to be able to play games but i don't really care about the quality of graphics or lag as long as it's not horrible. its basicly just something to get me thru high school

If you have a new Mobo, and the old (possibly fried) CPU is not working in it and the machine won't POST, considered that P4 to be KFC(pu)... time for a new one.

Do you happen to have a spare CPU that would work?
Also, when you were trying this.... you WERE using a Heat sink and fan, with thermal paste, right? If you just put the CPU in the socket and make connections WITHOUTH the HSF, then you will get a crispy fried CPU... Trust me, don't try it without the HSF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom