My computer won't go past "Starting Windows"

Status
Not open for further replies.

valenwood

Beta member
I'm hoping that you could help me. This is my first time building a computer. I bought a new case, a new motherboard, and a new processor. The parts that I'm using from my old computer are the graphics card, the ram, and the internal hard drive.

I got my new computer to turn on and I was able to get to the screen where I can select the operating system. The operating systems are Ubuntu, and Windows 7. I can boot up Ubuntu just fine. I can load files from my hard drive, and I can save a file to my hard drive on Ubuntu. I can also load up a CD. So as far as I know the wiring is set up correctly.

The problem is when I try going on Windows 7. When I select this option it goes to the screen where there is a message saying "Starting Windows" and four orbs start spin around. However, the computer automatically restarts during the middle of this process.

I would like to also mention that I placed spare parts into my old computer. I tested my hard drive with my spare computer and it was able to load Windows 7 with no problems at all.

On my new computer I have also tried pressing F8 and using Safe Mode. However, the computer would restart before going to the desktop.

I have a CD for my motherboard, but I have not installed it yet. I tried inserting the CD in and restarting my computer, but I never saw a prompt telling me if I want to boot the CD.

My new computer is running an AMD motherboard, with 4GB of ram, and a GeForce 8800 graphics card.

My old computer had an Intel motherboard, 3GB of ram, and the same graphics card.

I have no idea if it's a hardware or software issue.

If you need any more information from me please ask.

My room has been a mess for the past 2 weeks and i was really hoping that the computer would work and that I could clean up...
:sweat:

You took a hard drive with Win7 already installed and stuck it in a new PC? That doesn't work. Windows configures itself to the PC it was first installed on. You can add parts, change accessories and peripherals, but it is registered to the CPU and motherboard it was installed on. Ubuntu doesn't register (it's open source!) so it runs fine when transplanted between PC's (except for maybe needing a driver or two). You can try a repair install of Win7 but otherwise just do a full reinstall (use the Ubuntu install to copy your important files then wipe the Win7 partition and install to it, then use the Ubuntu CD to restore GRUB and your PC should be back to normal).

Thank you Calc. That was useful information, however the problem remains. The repair did not work, and I have a CD for window 7 except that I think my new computer has a problem booting a CD with autorun. The computer can recognize it while I'm in Ubuntu, but it won't ask me if I want to run it when I start my computer. I will go in Ubuntu and wipe the Win7 partition then try installing the CD. I hope the computer would autorun the CD then.

In case this doesn't work, is there another way I can delete my operating system without going in Ubuntu, and is there another way to boot from a CD without going into an operating system? Thanks in advance.

To boot from a CD you have to change the boot order in the BIOS on some PC's. It's different for all PC's but go into the BIOS and find the boot device priority. Hard drive is probably listed as first priority, change it so that CD drive has higher priority than hard drive (it will try the CD drive first, if no bootable CD found then it will go on to hard drive). You can leave it at this setting afterwards so you can boot from CD's in the future.

To delete your OS you need to be in some sort of working environment, even if you wipe Ubuntu off your hard drive you can use an Ubuntu boot CD (after setting your BIOS to boot from CD) and then use the partition editor from there to modify or delete your OS'es.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom