my computer is so sloooooooow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Gal

Solid State Member
What kind of ways could I help my pc run fast. I noticed that my computer started running slower and slower. I cleared out all the cookies, checked for unwanted files, and did a virus scan. Is there anything else I could do?

Defrag the hard drive. limit the number of programs that start at start up and in general limit the amount of stuff you use.

Ive found that this helps Alot.
goto :start
then: run
type in :msconfig
then press the tab:startup
and untick some of the applications you dont want running at the start up.
(this will only work on winxp)

hope it helps

Exactly what Bum said to do... :confused: Why would you post that?

BTW that does work with other Windows OS's, even though you have to download it for 2000.

yea but some programs don't show up in the system tray and other programs you can't just go into to thier options and ask not to come up on start up. so im just giving this guy some more help. and ive only tried it on xp and 2000 (and it didnt work on 2000 for me so i assumed the earlier models it wont have it either)

My computer is a xp. Which programs should I have not running at startup? And how will that help with my it being so slow? If those programs don't run at the beginning of startup, but then run after startup, its going to be just as slow wouldn't it?

talldude123 said:
Exactly what Bum said to do... :confused: Why would you post that?

BTW that does work with other Windows OS's, even though you have to download it for 2000.

How do you download it for 2000? My mom's computer is running 2000 Pro and I'd love to have msconfig on there. Can you PM me instructions?

Country Gal said:
My computer is a xp. Which programs should I have not running at startup?
I would say everything except one antivirus program, and maybe a firewall.
Country Gal said:
And how will that help with my it being so slow?
because less of the computer's resources are going to other programs that you are not using.

Country Gal said:
If those programs don't run at the beginning of startup, but then run after startup, its going to be just as slow wouldn't it?
yes, if you open all the programs that would have run on startup.
But just don't open as many programs then. only the ones you are actually going to use.

jorsoft03 said:
How do you download it for 2000? My mom's computer is running 2000 Pro and I'd love to have msconfig on there. Can you PM me instructions?
http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html

If those programs don't run at the beginning of startup, but then run after startup, its going to be just as slow wouldn't it?

alot of the programs that run automatically on startup you will find never using,or you have never heard of,or never knew ran at startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom